Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Leaky roof question

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 12:46 PM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by iambhooper
Do you have your headliner out? Or is it easy to work around the sunroof with it in?
I do have my headliner out which to me wasn't to big a deal just take you time with everything. I have read about people just dropping the front part of headliner but to me much easier to work with everything out of the way. I will try and take pics (even though there are probably a lot out there) of what I end up with and what I see.

And good call on if un-level and tubes not draining right. At my home I am almost always on a slope and might explain why sometimes it seemed to leak in rain storm and other times it didn't (parked somewhere else level maybe)

Edit -- pictures
Picture of how its routed from the factory, this is in the back seat facing backwards but you can see the hose goes up a little to get over the duct. As mentioned, this may be fine at times but if parked on a slope prevents it from draining and just pooling up in what I call the drain box (in other pictures)

This is the other side after I unhooked and no longer going over the duct. Hangs pretty loose so will need to zip tie so its positioned better but you can see it then hides behind the wire harness under the rear top glass before exiting outside

Picutre of the front one and you can see it runs downhill so probably why I didn't notice the drain box dripping because water doesn't pool in it.

This is a close up of the drain box. I have already pulled some off the factory sealant off but that is where all 4 of mine will start to slowly drip from if the water cannot drain out of them

And here is not the prettiest sealant job but I tried to remove all the old sealant best I could and press the new stuff into as best I can

Last edited by jdwilks; 06-26-2013 at 07:46 PM.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:53 AM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Update. So I finally got the headliner back in. I was going to re fabric it but decided to paint it to see how I like it since only cost about 10 bucks for the paint. I wanted to update this post because I did re-route the rear drain hoses to drain better

Hopefully you can tell I no longer have it going over the rear vent duct and just have it go between the duct and the headliner. There is just enough room to not pinch it and didn't have to zip tie or anything else

Finish product after painting. Biggest issue I have is while carrying it around the house to the rear deck the wind blew and caused it to fold right at the rear sunroof so got a huge crease in it. I scrub the crap out of it but it still had some rough spots in it when I painted. Guess I could have taken sand paper but didn't. I was a little worried how it was going to look but once I got all the trim installed it doesn't look to bad. Not near as good as fabric but much better than I stained and failing headliner. I did scratch it in a few places when installing so will touch those up. I bought paint from Lowe's and used a 4 in roller and foam brush as well. Think it was 2 to 3 coats and used about half of a small quart can of paint. They tried to paint match off of a interior piece I brought in but it came out pinkish so I just picked a color from a sample. Its just a tick lighter than the interior pieces but looks just fine to me

Old 07-02-2013, 10:16 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Default stuff

Man, looks good. Im guessing you removed the old fabric and then painted it? I wasnt sure if that was possible but if so Ill be doing the same thing.