Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another noise...

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 11:45 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another noise...

I suspect this is coming from the transmission/drivetrain...

First, I have experienced altered shift points since installing Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF. Used about about 10qts on the install and pulled the check plug a week later to make sure it was full and it spewed a steady stream of ATF, filled back up and all is good with the exception of these shift points. Has anyone else experienced these symptoms when using a non conventional atf?

Now the noise. Only happens when OFF the gas at lower speeds (35-5mph), instantly goes away when load is put on the drivetrain. Interestingly, if I shift into 1st no noise on deceleration. When put into 2nd, 3rd or drive, noise is back. I think I have narrowed it down to second and 3rd gear making an almost flapping/tapping type sound upon deceleration. I do plan on changing the ATF out this week to a conventional Dex3 to see if it helps even though the M1 has been in there for 15k noise free miles.

Anyone suspect any other components causing this noise or experienced similar issues?

Old 11-30-2011, 12:17 AM
Mudding

Very similar issues as this guy:https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...problem-36387/

I don't suspect it's the front prop shaft since no noise in first gear.

Old 11-30-2011, 04:55 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

If front prop shaft has not been rebuilt, or does not have zerk fittings, it is a time bomb waiting to spear your transmission.

Transfer case?

Flapping noise might be start of "tick" caused by cracked flex plate (tranny to flywheel).

Old 11-30-2011, 11:57 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Also, not sure you put 10 quarts of ATF in, 5.5 to 6 is about all you can put in with out draining the torque convertor.
Also sounds like you may have not filled or checked the fluid level correctly if you are pulling the fill plug and having ATF flow all over your arm, did you check the level with the engine running, if not and you spilled a lot of fluid, you are now short on fluid and need to refill while the engine is running and the tranny is in park.

Old 11-30-2011, 12:57 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
If front prop shaft has not been rebuilt, or does not have zerk fittings, it is a time bomb waiting to spear your transmission.

Transfer case?

Flapping noise might be start of "tick" caused by cracked flex plate (tranny to flywheel).
Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Also, not sure you put 10 quarts of ATF in, 5.5 to 6 is about all you can put in with out draining the torque convertor.
Also sounds like you may have not filled or checked the fluid level correctly if you are pulling the fill plug and having ATF flow all over your arm, did you check the level with the engine running, if not and you spilled a lot of fluid, you are now short on fluid and need to refill while the engine is running and the tranny is in park.
Thanks for the replies guys... Dually noted on the front prop shaft. I will research it a bit more on the site as I'm a DIY kind of guy. I think I saw a write up in the "how to" sticky. Reading about the flex plate, people seem to have the noise at idle, not while at deceleration at moderate speeds. I'll get it on a lift and run the car in the air, I suppose that's the last thing I can do before just pulling stuff apart.

I bought 2 6 packs of the M1 and have 2 quarts left over. I did follow the procedure that is on here... Drain, fill, start car, move through gears slowly a few times, shut off, top off, restart, shift through gear and fill till needed etc. I even drove around a week and rechecked the level with the car running to make sure the tranny was full (it was), lost a a quart in the process so I guess that could explain why I used 9-10 qts, I was very thorough and don't suspect installer error.

At this point, it sounds like it could be a few things....

Last edited by SolbergFanBoi; 11-30-2011 at 01:01 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:35 PM
Mudding

Alright guys, bringing another thread back from the dead as I continue to have these issues.

The shift points have not changed after a swap form M1 Syn ATF to a conventional Dex3 has got me annoyed but not concerned as I don't think transmission failure is likely as a result of this symptom. Any feedback is welcome though

Now for this noise!!!!!!! It's got me so f'ing pissed off... I got both drive shafts rebuilt, greased and balanced per the write up. No change in the noise at all. Upon further driving, I can actually feel the tapping/flapping noise on the actual gear lever and console where P R N D 3 2 1 is, nowhere else. It's apparent to me now it's coming from somewhere in the transmission. Could it be some solenoid just going nuts? Anyone heard of this issue? I suppose I could pull the center console out to get closer to the problem. Still haven't been able to get it to a buddies and put it in the air and run it.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:46 PM
Mudding

So... Upon further searching I came across a few threads that have had similar problems citing the transfer case being responsible for the noise. I put this to the test.

I engaged the transfer case into the low setting, no noise to speak of. Switched back to high and the noise is still there but seemed to quiet down a bit after the changing around of the ratios.

Any thoughts?

Old 03-18-2012, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Watch Land Rover Discovery II Transfer case gear spin - YouTube. Note the point when the gears stop, when brake is on. So is you noise also at idle, or just while motivatin' over the hill? And tapping - could that be ticking, as in flex plate cracked?

Old 03-18-2012, 06:29 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Watch Land Rover Discovery II Transfer case gear spin - YouTube. Note the point when the gears stop, when brake is on. So is you noise also at idle, or just while motivatin' over the hill? And tapping - could that be ticking, as in flex plate cracked?
Only when moving, noise is most prevalent between 10-35mph and only on deceleration with foot on or off the brakes, doesn't matter. It seems once that there is slack in the drivetrain it makes the noise but under load things must be tightening up and coming back into compliance. You can hear it at higher speeds but on the freeway it's hard to hear since the pace of the ticking is so fast it gives the illusion it's not even there. No noise at idle.

I'll say again, I can feel the actual vibration of the flapping/ticking on the gear selector. I wonder if taking apart the center console will help?

Last edited by SolbergFanBoi; 03-18-2012 at 06:33 PM.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:05 PM
Mudding

I want to add, I took the truck out for a spin after watching this video and beginning to think we are on the right track. So on deceleration putting the truck into neutral the noise does not go away. Thus, the tranny being ruled out (thank god)... Hell, I could be experiencing the same issue in that video but just can't hear it at lower speeds or the problem hasn't quite reached a high level of noise yet.

I need to get the car in the air, wheels off the ground and get underneath to see what the heel is going on. If I am indeed experiencing this, what is the fix? New transfer case? Is just the center diff? I suppose the flex plate could be the issue too... I'm doing the oil pump in the coming weeks and will inspect that part.

Quick Reply: Another noise...