Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

...Another Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 08:20 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Are you having to add oil every other day? Is the EPA parked in front of your house with HAZMAT suits and citation book?
Dont worry about it.

Or you can buy this, follow the directions and be done with it.
Buy White Shepherd Oil Stop Leak 49499 at Advance Auto Parts

Old 12-19-2011, 09:21 PM
Winching
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
And pretty hard for the front seal to get oil high up on the engine....
Right.

Well in case you didn't notice, the first picture is hardly "high up" and by your logic, I could simply say the same thing - pretty tough for valve cover gasket leak seepage to cover the oil pan.

Anyways, every DII I've seen leaks around the valve cover area - so that's not the variable here - if it's ending up down there, and ESPECIALLY if its dripping onto the ground / diff / etc. I'd take the others' advice and clean her up then check in a few days.

Mine was a PITA, when raining the parking lot would look like a freaking oil slick,
and it was staining the driveway. FWIW it was never enough to require topping off somehow - but I also didn't really let it slide for that long!

Old 12-19-2011, 09:52 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My engine look the same few months ago. I got fed up with guessing and changed all gaskets, seals, water pump, oil pump, pulleys, belt, engine cover, timing chain, gears, etc. Turned out to be the best thing I could have done.

Love the truck since then! 10 times more dependable!

Old 12-19-2011, 10:26 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Agreed, Murphys's Law is a multi-volume set. My Mercedes can out leak the Disco by volume, but not by number of locations.... I park over sand, in the future they will think it is the southern version of the Canadian tar sands...

Old 12-19-2011, 11:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I was having a hard time finding orientation on the 2nd pic, so not sure. To me, it looks like the rear valve cover gaskets are leaking. As mentioned, be sure to loosen a bit and then torque to specs. Mine started to leak a few months ago. I cleaned it off, did that and it has been oil free since.
The front seal could be causing the drip towards the front (if that is what I was looking at). I would get a small oil spot every so often from in back by the oil filter. When I had it apart for the water pump, I was able to see it from there. Very minor. I wish I had the gaskets while I was in there so I could have handled it then but didn't.