Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

And another thing- funny problem with xyz switch design confirmed

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 04:43 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default And another thing- funny problem with xyz switch design confirmed

While working on the front prop shaft yesterday (other thread), I confirmed a theory about the XYZ switch (transmission control).

Back in the summer, I experienced a chronic problem with the M and S flashing, then weird shifting patterns with my 03 Discovery. So I checked here, determined I probably had a bad XYZ switch.

So I ordered a switch. When I went to replace it, I noticed the original switch was covered in water. This was summer and a hot sunny day. To me, without the car on a lift, it looked like condensation dripping from the A/C system getting on the XYZ switch.

Out of curiosity, I soaked the switch real good with WD40, let it sit awhile, then ran the shifter quickly back and forth from P to low D. That solved the problem (can't remember how I made the flashing lights go away- cleared with OBDII reader I think). I haven't had a moment's problem since and still have the brand new XYZ switch uninstalled in my spares box.

So yesterday, while on the lift, I verified that indeed, one of the drains for the A/C is above and close to the XYZ switch. No wonder I was having problems. Anybody else notice this design issue? Is my A/C drain missing a tube or extender to run the water toward the ground?

In the finest of British traditions of problem solving, I will install a little umbrella over my XYZ switch before summer! (Like the stuffed owl the Morgan factory put in the paint shop rafters to keep birds from nesting in there and messing up the paintwork).

Thanks, Jeff