Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another way to fill coolant...

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 10:25 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This makes me wish mine didn't have secondary air injection.
I'm curious, what are the benefits? It really clutters up the engine bay.

Old 04-28-2014, 11:29 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 110 Likes on 84 Posts

I do not understand where is the clutter; the heater core shutoff is barely larger than the hose, and the in-line thermostat takes the room of the T there. There is no stock thermostat in the engine bay, no bypass hose, instead, now a big void in there with an added bonus of a coolant drain fitted.
---->http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps980ada81.jpg

The benefits I see, is there is no coolant heat at all constantly flowing into the cabin in summer; and there is no risk of the bypass coolant path to cause overheating if something fails.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:02 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Externet
I do not understand where is the clutter; the heater core shutoff is barely larger than the hose, and the in-line thermostat takes the room of the T there. There is no stock thermostat in the engine bay, no bypass hose, instead, now a big void in there with an added bonus of a coolant drain fitted.
---->http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps980ada81.jpg

The benefits I see, is there is no coolant heat at all constantly flowing into the cabin in summer; and there is no risk of the bypass coolant path to cause overheating if something fails.
I was referring to secondary air injection.
Your system looks great, and since you have an older disco, you don't have secondary air injection, hense, less clutter. I have a 2004 and if you've ever looked under the hood of one, there's a big pipe running around the back of the engine blocking access to the coil-pack, there's also large valves on each side of the engine with pipes going down into the exhaust manifold (I think). I'm not sure what secondary air does, but I don't like it always getting in the way.

I personally really like your heater-core shutoff, makes bleeding easier if nothing else. No waterfall sounds. :P

Old 04-29-2014, 07:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 110 Likes on 84 Posts

OK, sorry for the confusion. Mine does not have such, so I do not know much about it, and read posts about that pipe in the way.
How is it that nobody has replaced such with a hose passing -say on top of the transmission- to clear the clutter ?

Old 04-30-2014, 01:06 PM
Three Wheeling

Did a little reading into Secondary Air.
It's just more emissions bull****.

It injects air into the exhaust system just after the manifold, it's literally impossible for engines to run at 100% efficiency (in our case nowhere near) oxygen injection into the exhaust helps combust the remaining hydrocarbons in the exhaust and reduce emissions.

In my own words, it's bull**** taking up a bunch of space in my engine bay because some tree hugging californian said our engines weren't "Green Enough"

Oh yeah, and just in case I've offended someone.
Sorry, but if you're concerned with saving the planet, don't drive petrol V8's. It's that simple.

Old 04-30-2014, 01:18 PM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

No offense taken. I have to go hug my tree and cry myself to sleep.

But seriously, I am a bit conflicted. I love my rover/rovers but am also very conscious about the planet. I work for an eco friendly clothing company where we focus on organic cotton and hemp as well as recycled polyester for our yarn content. In addition we use plant based dyes and print all of our media on recycled non bleached paper.

My wife is a nut, we have all sorts of worm bins, compost piles, and various recycling bins in our yard.

So here is the rub:

Is it better to scrap an old car, fill the land fills and create all of the chemical waste that is produced when making a new car... Or is it better to run with an older car, buy used parts and drive responsibly???

I try to live and do what I want while still respecting the earth. If it helps a little to have a secondary air system, I can deal with it. If everybody made a 5% difference in their Carbon Footprint, the earth would be better off.

Now I need to go do burn outs in all of my Rovers and chop down a few hundred trees...

Old 04-30-2014, 01:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

I don't mind the SAI. Knowing that Discoverys rarely have smog passing issues is nice. Mine passed with flying colors and does so every time.

It's also pretty easy to work on. Very simplistic and forgiving.

Old 05-01-2014, 01:53 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by FlyingZebra34
I don't mind the SAI. Knowing that Discoverys rarely have smog passing issues is nice. Mine passed with flying colors and does so every time.

It's also pretty easy to work on. Very simplistic and forgiving.
Yeah, when I bought my 04 it had never been registered in Washington State, emissions was a breeze, so I guess I shouldn't be complaining...
When I did my plugs and wires the SAI pipes were without question in the way.
Nothing a universal joint and an extender couldn't handle...

Old 05-01-2014, 02:15 PM
Three Wheeling
Smile

Originally Posted by abran
No offense taken. I have to go hug my tree and cry myself to sleep.

But seriously, I am a bit conflicted. I love my rover/rovers but am also very conscious about the planet. I work for an eco friendly clothing company where we focus on organic cotton and hemp as well as recycled polyester for our yarn content. In addition we use plant based dyes and print all of our media on recycled non bleached paper.

My wife is a nut, we have all sorts of worm bins, compost piles, and various recycling bins in our yard.

So here is the rub:

Is it better to scrap an old car, fill the land fills and create all of the chemical waste that is produced when making a new car... Or is it better to run with an older car, buy used parts and drive responsibly???

I try to live and do what I want while still respecting the earth. If it helps a little to have a secondary air system, I can deal with it. If everybody made a 5% difference in their Carbon Footprint, the earth would be better off.

Now I need to go do burn outs in all of my Rovers and chop down a few hundred trees...
I was raised by an ex-seattleite hippie, so I'm all too familiar with worm bins and compost piles, I recycle and do my best when it comes to household waste. I think it's a healthy way to live and I support it completely. On the vehicle front I can't agree more, disposing of an old car with the intent of reducing your carbon footprint is all but silly. Before my Discovery I was driving a 2006 Jetta TDI, I loved that car, there's nothing better than 750 highway miles per tank. But I did it for my pocket book, not the damn ozone layer. Sadly I was rear-ended and that vehicle was totaled. It couldn't have happened at a better time either, my EGR cooler seal had gone bad, and needless to say some stuff got hot. I've been driving my Discovery II since and loving every second of my 14MPG.