Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any flag mouting ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 10:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
I think on mine I'll add the Union Jack, followed by the German Flag, followed by the American Flag, and finally (for now) the Indian Flag

I'm going UN
Don't forget your state flag ! (State flower optional)

Old 11-01-2014, 10:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,589 Likes on 1,305 Posts

I was thinking of Polish Flag since that's my heritage. My family looked at the same way you do though once the immigrated we were Americans.

Old 11-01-2014, 11:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I'm the last of the Scottish line in my family. My two sons were both born here in the USA.

The best part of all of this is that I now get to root for the US Men's national team in football seeing as Scotland hasn't done anything on the world stage since the 1978 World Cup and the big win against the Dutch. Don't even get me started on the debacle that is the English football team

Old 11-01-2014, 11:12 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 91 Likes on 81 Posts

I thought Tata owned LR, after Ford.
Land Rover - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And do you mean Union Jack, or George Cross? Biiiig difference.

Old 11-01-2014, 11:15 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex_M
I'm going to second all of this. As a matter of fact, Land Rover was owned by Ford when the D2 was being made, making the stars and stripes all the more appropriate. I actually have a couple US Flag stickers sitting on my night stand waiting to be put in below the side blinkers.
Ownership of Land Rover was Ford yes, but hard working English workers assembled my truck in Solihull England. To each his own. In my eyes older Rovers will always be English. Jeeps will always be American despite now being owned by Italy? Ford and Chevy will always be American etc. When I think of Land Rovers I think of rugged English vehicles.

On another note I'm looking for mid sized flags now that I think about it. May also put a POW: missing in action flag on the back of my truck to but not sure yet.

The following users liked this post:
ZGPhoto (11-02-2014)
Old 11-01-2014, 11:18 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by cappedup
I thought Tata owned LR, after Ford.
Land Rover - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And do you mean Union Jack, or George Cross? Biiiig difference.
In my opinion theres only one English flag: the St George's flag. Think of it as a state flag. There are 50 states in the USA. There is a USA stars and stripes flag which symbolizes the union of all 50 states, then there are individual state flags for each individual state. Same thing with England and the UK. Im looking for the purely English flag.

Old 11-01-2014, 11:25 PM
Recovery Vehicle

That was my exact point where you call the workers English. They aren't all English, we cross pollinate a lot in the UK and there have always been lot of Welsh, Irish, Scots and English folks assembling Land Rovers.

By that logic, given that I lived in the very south of England as an officer in the Royal Navy, you'd use "English" as your nomenclature to describe those of us that worked on a ship, assembled at a shipyard in England and stationed in Devon but Scottish for a ship assembled in my hometown of Rosyth and stationed in Scotland?

This conversation has been great by the way. I'm sitting here trying to get my sick Toddler to sleep so being able to pass the time on a thread as epicly silly as this one is much appreciated.

Are you planning on stopping in seattle on your trek to Alaska next year?

Old 11-01-2014, 11:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Robert Booth
By that logic, given that I lived in the very south of England as an officer in the Royal Navy, you'd use "English" as your nomenclature to describe those of us that worked on a ship, assembled at a shipyard in England and stationed in Devon but Scottish for a ship assembled in my hometown of Rosyth and stationed in Scotland
Ha, I used to build submarines in Barrow, Trafalgar, Trident. So I'd happily see a George Cross on the side of one. Even if it is parked up in Scotland. And had a very eclectic bunch of builders. Scots can build their own subs and stick their flag on it.

Having said that, I'm disappointed how English soccer fans have kinda stolen the use of the GC. Makes me disinclined to fly it myself.

"Having said that", aesthetically speaking, the Union Jack is a far nicer looking flag. I'd use that.

My $0.03c

Old 11-01-2014, 11:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by cappedup
Ha, I used to build submarines in Barrow, Trafalgar, Trident. So I'd happily see a George Cross on the side of one. Even if it is parked up in Scotland. And had a very eclectic bunch of builders. Scots can build their own subs and stick their flag on it.

Having said that, I'm disappointed how English soccer fans have kinda stolen the use of the GC. Makes me disinclined to fly it myself.

"Having said that", aesthetically speaking, the Union Jack is a far nicer looking flag. I'd use that.

My $0.03c
You're from Barrow ? No way ! My Dad did his apprenticeship with Vickers in Barrow, he was born in Dalton and my mum in Barrow. He worked on Polaris from the beginning, then switched to Trident, which is how I ended up being born in Rosyth.
Incidentally my Dad always had the Lancashire Rose on his Crash Helmets, in disregard of the redrawn county lines that put Barrow in Cumbria

Old 11-01-2014, 11:51 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Robert Booth
You're from Barrow ? No way ! My Dad did his apprenticeship with Vickers in Barrow, he was born in Dalton and my mum in Barrow. He worked on Polaris from the beginning, then switched to Trident, which is how I ended up being born in Rosyth.
Incidentally my Dad always had the Lancashire Rose on his Crash Helmets, in disregard of the redrawn county lines that put Barrow in Cumbria
Yup. My dad worked on Polaris. I started on Trafalgar (joiner) boat number 1108 I think., 1989. Then came Trident. Big suckers.

Born and lived in Ulverston til I was 20. Got out of the 'yard after my apprenticeship.

I like to say I'm from Lancashire. Born in 1973. Cumbria "happened" in '74.

Best thing I ever did was work in the shipyard. Second best thing I did was realise there are other jobs out there.

Quick Reply: Any flag mouting ideas?