Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any flag mouting ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 03:08 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts
Exclamation Any flag mouting ideas?

Now that I finally have an SD roof rack on my Disco 2 the first line of business is flag mounting hardware. I want to fly English flags from the rack near the front on both sides of the vehicle. Not talking about those tiny flags people mount on the hood of their cars either. So where can I find good quality durable English flags? and what options do I have for mounting flags on the rack?

Old 11-01-2014, 03:44 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

Decreasing gas mileage from 8 mpg to 5 mpg I see.

Seriously, that's gonna great some crazy drag. I'd say you can find a shop (like an exhaust shop) to weld you a couple pieces of tube in the corners. Then you could just run a couple small bolts or pins through the with a nut or cotter pin on the back to hold it in place. Just be sure to paint it back up post weld so it doesn't rust.

Old 11-01-2014, 04:03 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Are you planning to drive in a parade?

Old 11-01-2014, 05:08 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

My 0.02cents. The Camel trucks used to have a small team country of origin sticker on the front fender under the directional, on each side of the truck. Why not do that instead? As a scotsman that does have the scottish flag on both sides of my truck, I think it'd be cooler to see you repping the Stars and Stripes. Here's how my truck is setup http://instagram.com/p/e_KFbwSgcg/

Last edited by Robert Booth; 11-01-2014 at 05:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Alex_M (11-01-2014)
Old 11-01-2014, 08:47 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Booth
My 0.02cents. The Camel trucks used to have a small team country of origin sticker on the front fender under the directional, on each side of the truck. Why not do that instead? As a scotsman that does have the scottish flag on both sides of my truck, I think it'd be cooler to see you repping the Stars and Stripes. Here's how my truck is setup Instagram

Your the second person to suggest I fly the US flag instead of the English. Interestingly these vehicles are English so they rightfully deserve English insignia. Imagine putting a Japanese flag on a Jeep? Historical offensive perhaps. If I wanted to fly a US flag then Id buy a Ford Chevy or Jeep.

I already have plans to use English stickers on the fenders but I also want at least one large English flag flown from my truck. Not the British Union Jack...... it is difficult to retain respect for all nations of the British Isels without offending them with the Union Jack flag.

Old 11-01-2014, 09:29 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

My grandfather was English. He was an officer in the British Army. When he immigrated to the United States and was asked about his accent, he told people he was an American. My mother was Welsh. She told everyone she was an American. You can do what you want, but I find it a bit unusual that you want to fly a full size flag. What's your motivation? On the other hand, I have a cousin still living in England and she has a big Stars and Stripes hanging on the wall in her home.

Last edited by Colorado David; 11-01-2014 at 09:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Alex_M (11-01-2014)
Old 11-01-2014, 10:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Its totally up to you of course, but you're obviously not English. In Europe we use country of origin to denote country of vehicle registration which typically also maps to nationally. (Pretty useful when our countries are so much smaller than US states) but here in the US, us ex Pats use those types of flags so that we can recognize each other when out and about. A little bit like having a Firefighter sticker on your car.

I've seen some recent use of the British flag as a fashion thing, more often than not on Mini's, which are now German of course.

And of course Land Rover hasn't been owned by a UK based company in many years. Lastly, Land Rover as a company was formed significantly after the Union was formed, so it is completely innapropriate to call it an English company.

It's your truck so we can agree to disagree, by if you stop off in seattle to go wheeling with us, there's a pretty hefty group of rover driving scottish ex pats that are going to give you nonstop **** for rocking an English flag

Finally, once my US citizenship does go through, I will proudly change my truck to show the Stars and Stripes.

Last edited by Robert Booth; 11-01-2014 at 10:08 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Robert Booth:
Alex_M (11-01-2014), cybercop (11-11-2014)
Old 11-01-2014, 10:34 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,589 Likes on 1,305 Posts

I think on mine I'll add the Union Jack, followed by the German Flag, followed by the American Flag, and finally (for now) the Indian Flag

I'm going UN

Old 11-01-2014, 10:38 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Booth
Its totally up to you of course, but you're obviously not English. In Europe we use country of origin to denote country of vehicle registration which typically also maps to nationally. (Pretty useful when our countries are so much smaller than US states) but here in the US, us ex Pats use those types of flags so that we can recognize each other when out and about. A little bit like having a Firefighter sticker on your car.

I've seen some recent use of the British flag as a fashion thing, more often than not on Mini's, which are now German of course.

And of course Land Rover hasn't been owned by a UK based company in many years. Lastly, Land Rover as a company was formed significantly after the Union was formed, so it is completely innapropriate to call it an English company.

It's your truck so we can agree to disagree, by if you stop off in seattle to go wheeling with us, there's a pretty hefty group of rover driving scottish ex pats that are going to give you nonstop **** for rocking an English flag

Finally, once my US citizenship does go through, I will proudly change my truck to show the Stars and Stripes.
I'm going to second all of this. As a matter of fact, Land Rover was owned by Ford when the D2 was being made, making the stars and stripes all the more appropriate. I actually have a couple US Flag stickers sitting on my night stand waiting to be put in below the side blinkers.

Old 11-01-2014, 10:44 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Wern't they German (BMW) in the D2 era? Might account for all of the Bosch plastic stuff under my hood and the tremendous design of the quick release hoses (also Bosch) on the transmission cooler

I thought Ford bought Rover in 2008?

My wife has the 5litre jag engine in her LR4. I thought that was built by Ford for Landrover but I lose track of this stuff.

Quick Reply: Any flag mouting ideas?