Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any flag mouting ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 11:56 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

I always thought that if I was smart, I'd quit the software industry and move to Ulverston to setup my defender export/import business. Lots of wheeling in the Lake District, clean air and the ability to get a decent bag of chips.

Old 11-02-2014, 12:10 AM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

The main point here is that I want a English St Geroges flag on my truck. How can I get it mounted? I assume there might be some hardware or some kit available for sale that can easily be mounted for ease of installment of flags. I like how the Union Jack looks but it would not feel right to me in light of the conflicts between the nations joint in the union.

I will not be driving all the way to Washington state during my overland trip to Alaska as it would be to far out of the way. ill be crossing the border into Canada in Montana most likely. If anyone wants to go and does not get offended by my flying a English flag on my truck then you are welcome to join.

Old 11-02-2014, 12:11 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 91 Likes on 81 Posts

Spent most of my youth in the lakes. Coniston a favourite. Loved cycling past the LR place at Torver. Dreamt of a 110. Disco S will do for now.

Chippy Bank still open on New Market St I think. Original and still the best.

(Sorry to thread steal)

Old 11-02-2014, 12:25 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,589 Likes on 1,305 Posts

Oh and on the flag mount you could use something like this.

Motorcycle Flagpole Mount and USA Flag - LeatherUp.com

Or just use a flat base type mount used on a house available pretty much anywhere American flags are sold. Use U-bolts to mount it on the bars of the rack. You will probably need to add a few holes to the plate mount for the u-bolts to go through. I would also drill and pin/bolt the flag staff into the mount.

I wouldn't be to worried about running the ST George Flag as most of the "educated masses" you meet will probably think your from Denmark anyways.

Or you could run into those that think the flag stands for racism or football fans...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...78677474,d.aWw

The following users liked this post:
TRIARII (11-02-2014)
Old 11-02-2014, 06:30 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

I say opt for face paint, as well.
You know, in case you overheat or miss a gas station. That flag will heavy on a walk.

Old 11-02-2014, 07:59 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I like your style Dusty!
Why stop with the face?

Old 11-02-2014, 08:27 AM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
Oh and on the flag mount you could use something like this.

Motorcycle Flagpole Mount and USA Flag - LeatherUp.com

Or just use a flat base type mount used on a house available pretty much anywhere American flags are sold. Use U-bolts to mount it on the bars of the rack. You will probably need to add a few holes to the plate mount for the u-bolts to go through. I would also drill and pin/bolt the flag staff into the mount.

I wouldn't be to worried about running the ST George Flag as most of the "educated masses" you meet will probably think your from Denmark anyways.

Or you could run into those that think the flag stands for racism or football fans...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...78677474,d.aWw
I like the "educated masses" remark! haha that reminds me..... can you believe that some people :
A: Do not know that Alaska is one of the 50 states
B: They actually think Alaska is somewhere down south

it amazes me how little people know about their own country.

Thanks for the links for the mounts. Im surprised more people dont fly flags on their Rovers though.

Old 11-02-2014, 08:49 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I haven't run a physical flag on a 4wd before but my thought is that folks might worry about it getting hung up on obstacles in the same way that a rack or cb radio antenna might.

Probably wouldn't be too much different to running an orange flag while out in the dunes.

I wouldn't be as concerned about drag as I would be about noise from the flag above your head in the cabin, especially at highway speeds. Might just be one of those times when you have to try it and see if you like it.

Old 11-02-2014, 11:01 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII
I like the "educated masses" remark! haha that reminds me..... can you believe that some people :
A: Do not know that Alaska is one of the 50 states
B: They actually think Alaska is somewhere down south

it amazes me how little people know about their own country.

Thanks for the links for the mounts. Im surprised more people dont fly flags on their Rovers though.
Too bad it's not down south...would save fuel on your trip.... just knock it out of gear and coast.

Just get a union jack sail instead of a flag...kill two birds.....

Or I'd go with a skull and crossbones sail since you may have to do some robbing and pillaging along the way.

Last edited by RicketyTick; 11-02-2014 at 11:51 AM.
Old 11-02-2014, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

A full size flag is probably going to be pretty noisy and create a lot of drag at 55+ mph. Whatever pole you find might no be up to the task.

Even the presidential "limo" flies the little baby flags you don't want.

I'd personally go for something's smaller like what people fly on the days of sporting event here in the south.

Any flag mouting ideas?-image-990810423.jpg

Quick Reply: Any flag mouting ideas?