Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any flag mouting ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 08:09 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII
Though its not common Ive seen a pickup truck flying a full size flag on the back of their truck. Again Im not looking for a full size flag, rather a mid sized flag. There is nothing offensive about displaying a POW flag. Thats my way of saying I wont forget those who lost their life defending their country, those who were lost and left behind when the troops went home.... I have alot of respect for Vets and current soldiers.
Ahh I see, I always thought the POW-MIA flags were reserved for people who actually were prisoners of war. I don't know much about them

Old 11-03-2014, 04:03 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
Ahh I see, I always thought the POW-MIA flags were reserved for people who actually were prisoners of war. I don't know much about them
Here's a little experiment for you. Walk around town and ask people what they know about the Vietnam war, Desert Storm or any other recent conflict involving our troops. Take note of how many people either have no idea about Vietnam or any regard for the troops who served there. Then ask them if they know what POW means. Focus your efforts on our generation and those fresh out of high school.

My observation is that most people dont know much about the conflicts nor do they give a **** about the men and women who fought and died defending ????. Whenever I see that black POW flag, i get a funny sensation and the hair on the back on my neck stands up. I never served but I try to imagine what it might feel like to be left behind, wounded in hostile enemy territory while your nation ships back home. Even worse when we dont go back to find those men.... I have the POW patch on my travel bag and I certainly want to fly it on my truck to remind myself and everyone else about those men.

Old 11-03-2014, 05:21 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
Oh and on the flag mount you could use something like this.

Motorcycle Flagpole Mount and USA Flag - LeatherUp.com

Or you could run into those that think the flag stands for racism or football fans...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...78677474,d.aWw
"Or you could run into those that think the flag stands for racism or football fans..."

If it were in the UK AR you'd be spot on. Football fans, dim pseudo patriotic numpties or just plain psychos spoiling for a fight or trouble whilst usually under the influence of whatever. Sadly, ask most who St George was and they would be clueless but they in many cases have defiled the English flag. Best recognised as drunk, shave head, beer belly, very mouthy in a group, hooligans and often brainless and uneducated ................. oh, and usually drawing benefits from social security (usually illegally) and unemployed.

Vis:

https://www.google.fr/webhp?sourceid...ll%20hooligans

Old 11-03-2014, 05:45 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII
Here's a little experiment for you. Walk around town and ask people what they know about the Vietnam war, Desert Storm or any other recent conflict involving our troops. Take note of how many people either have no idea about Vietnam or any regard for the troops who served there. Then ask them if they know what POW means. Focus your efforts on our generation and those fresh out of high school.

My observation is that most people dont know much about the conflicts nor do they give a **** about the men and women who fought and died defending ????. Whenever I see that black POW flag, i get a funny sensation and the hair on the back on my neck stands up. I never served but I try to imagine what it might feel like to be left behind, wounded in hostile enemy territory while your nation ships back home. Even worse when we dont go back to find those men.... I have the POW patch on my travel bag and I certainly want to fly it on my truck to remind myself and everyone else about those men.
X1 TRIARRII, I think your summation applies to many so called civilised countries who treat the military as 'expendable' and their governments are the worst, including the UK, at washing their hands of the effects on the troops returning or those MIA's. IMO the conflicts in the middle east are a travesty and waste of excellent western human beings and unfortunately in those places absolutely nothing will ever change ............... it's also inter tribal problems coupled to extremist religious fanatics. IMO the original dictators should have been left in place who had these agitators under control.

As for the everyday rank and file on the street, many neither know nor care about the various conflicts and the resultant victims since the turn of the 19th to 20th century and that includes even the current conflicts that are ongoing as we write. It's only brought home when it affects them directly in many cases otherwise it's the 'nimby' syndrome (not in my back yard). Many are more interested in so called 'celebrities' than 'real' people and they live out a kind of fantasy of life .............. until they get bitten.

The following users liked this post:
TRIARII (11-03-2014)
Old 11-11-2014, 01:23 PM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Booth
I thought Ford bought Rover in 2008?
As a point of order, Ford NEVER owned Rover - they only owned Landrover.

Rover was the parent company, which launched the Landrover as a model in 1948. The Rover group (including its Landrover subsidary) was bought by BMW and then broen up - with Landrover going to Ford and Rover going to a (mis)management buyout team.

Old 11-11-2014, 08:12 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard Moss
As a point of order, Ford NEVER owned Rover - they only owned Landrover.

Rover was the parent company, which launched the Landrover as a model in 1948. The Rover group (including its Landrover subsidary) was bought by BMW and then broen up - with Landrover going to Ford and Rover going to a (mis)management buyout team.
Oops
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rover_(marque)
If you're going to troll a thread you should at least check the facts first. Additionally, many Land Rover (two words, not one) owners refer to our trucks as Rovers. The popularity of this term to describe a Land Rover can be verified by looking at the large number of Land Rover businesses that use only the term Rover to describe their business that services Land Rover vehicles.

Old 11-11-2014, 09:15 PM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

OK - so they (briefly) owned the name plate of a defunct car company a year after that company went out of business. I repeat though, that they never owned the car company - Ford never built a single "Rover" badged car.

As for people(incorrectly) calling Landrovers / Land Rovers by the name "Rover" - the fact that people do it doesn't mean that it's right.

Old 11-11-2014, 09:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

WOW, this has been an interesting read!

Old 11-11-2014, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,589 Likes on 1,305 Posts

One could argue that calling Land Rovers "Rovers" was backed up by LRNA giving cease and desist notifications to pretty much any business associated with Land Rover parts, or sales that wasn't part of LRNA. Making them turn over domain names, change business names etc. Since they copyrighted "Rover" for just that reason.

Is that enough pot stirring

Old 11-11-2014, 10:50 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

meh.... I just call it a jeep.

Quick Reply: Any flag mouting ideas?