Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any way to leave the light switch on and the lights will shut off with the ignition

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2024, 09:57 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sqlbullet
Modern cars that turn off headlights when to doors lock/etc have an extra setting on the light switch. On all my vehicles with this feature it is a turn from off to the left (counter clock wise). The vehicles still also have the traditional "Off -> Parking/Running -> All On" positions if you turn the *** to the right.

I have always assumed the reason for this is that somewhere federal code dictated the basic required functions of the switch. I figured the only way car makers to could get automatic in there was to add a new position to the switch. I could be wrong.

I also would have concerns about not being able to force my headlights on even without the FOB. A car accident where you have gone off the road at night is a great example of a situation where you probably wouldn't want other things keeping your from signalling for help.
Perhaps.

I'm sure there is some reasonable rationale.

One piece of anecdotal information that leans a different direction is that one of my other vehicles is a 1994 Toyota Land Cruiser which has headlights that turn off when you open the door after turning the ignition off. You can manually cycle the light switch (to off then back on) to turn the headlights back back on (with the vehicle off) if you wish. So, US delivery Land Cruisers of that era were capable of the functionality to avoid draining the battery with headlights. And Land Crusiers aren't know for cutting edge designs.

Old 01-10-2024, 12:23 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 180 Likes on 113 Posts

Maybe install something like this:
Amazon Amazon

Directed Electronics 545T Nite-Lite System D

• Automatically activates headlight and parking lights when driving in the dark
  • Turns lights on when windshield wipers are in use
  • Adjustable turn-off delay
  • Includes photocell, relays and bypass switch
  • "Nite Lite" System

Of course if you do, document it for the rest of us

Good Luck!