Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any way to retard the ignition timing so that regular gas (not premium) can be used?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 09:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

My $1750 D1 started out as a vehicle that some one else paid a premium for. My $499 Mercedes convertible cost some one a pretty penny when it was rolling off the showroom floor in 1993. Both run on regular because I'm a cheapskate. I've tried a tank of premium, have not noticed a difference, but perhaps the internal gunk is so thick I can't feel the difference. I would agree that they should run better on premium because the ECU is optimized for it.

Old 10-04-2013, 09:52 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My $.02: On my 1998 D1 with close to 150,000 miles, it runs just as good on regular gas as it does on premium. However I do notice a difference in gas mileage, around 2-3 mpg less on the cheap stuff. So it balances out anyway.

Old 10-04-2013, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator

Others have posted similar results. Bet a lot of government workers with no paycheck in sight will be switching....

Old 10-04-2013, 06:29 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Not worth the trouble.
Pony up the money for the gas.
Or sell it.

You put in regular you will cause the knock sensors to retard the timing
and you will risk pre detonation which will ruin the head gaskets.

Save $5.00 a fill up - big deal.
If you are worried about that you can't afford a rover so sell it.

People who cheap out on gas end up replacing the head gaskets and so much for your saving money.

I need a good laugh and that is funny.
So, if you fill it 100 times
you may save $500.

The head gasket job is $2,500.

280 miles each tank.
28,000 miles you will save $500.

So, at 90,000 miles driven you save about $1,500
and then the head gaskets go bad and you need to get that fixed and it costs $2,500

SO you are down $1,000.

Well maybe it is about even.

Unless regular will kaput the headgaskets in say 20,000 miles then you are in trouble.

Old 10-04-2013, 09:24 PM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Anyone else ever heard that low octane fuel can cause head gasket failure?

I'd be more inclined to think it would detonate a hole in a piston if the vehicle was pinging constantly,....

Old 10-04-2013, 11:10 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

I've been running 87 Octane almost exclusively since I bought mine. I tried Premium, but didn't notice enough difference. Probably about 2 MPG different. I've NEVER heard the engine ping, it runs very cool, and I've got plenty of power. I live in the hills, 50-6000 ft varied altitude and have no trouble towing my trailer or climbing hills fully loaded, etc...

Near me, it's $4.25 for Premium, so I am happy to save $$. It's funny how we have Fuel Refineries all over California, and yet we have the highest fuel prices in the country...

Old 10-05-2013, 10:44 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
My $1750 D1 started out as a vehicle that some one else paid a premium for. My $499 Mercedes convertible cost some one a pretty penny when it was rolling off the showroom floor in 1993. Both run on regular because I'm a cheapskate. I've tried a tank of premium, have not noticed a difference, but perhaps the internal gunk is so thick I can't feel the difference. I would agree that they should run better on premium because the ECU is optimized for it.
Gotcha beat Buzz. Paid $1,000 for my 2003 SE7 with dual moon roofs, rear air, audio controls, 3rd row seating, new tires and cold air. Running and driving.

Just sold my 83 380 SL I bought for $1700. Put a new interior in it including new Zebrano wood. Looked great!

BC

Last edited by bcolins; 10-06-2013 at 10:12 AM.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

Not sure I would go with idea that regular gas causes hg failure from knocking. Wish it was that easy

Old 10-07-2013, 01:01 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

jfall: "Not worth the trouble.
Or sell it.

If you are worried about that you can't afford a rover, so sell it.

People who cheap out on gas end up replacing the head gaskets and so much for your saving money.

you may save $500.

The head gasket job is $2,500, etc. etc., etc."
Again, I have been using the least expensive gasoline I could find, and I no longer hear any pinging at all, and, believe me, I pay attention to such things. No, I wont' "pony up the money for most expensive gas, nor will I sell my Rover. I have owned and worked on Land Rover and Rover sedans for around 50 years, and never have I found cheap gas causing head gasket failures---such comments are usually made by those who believe in myths; have no basis for their positions on such matters. The fact is that pre-ignition can cause piston head damage, but one can hear such pre-ignition, if one pays attention; I have none, so the ECU has taken care of that sort of thing, so it doesn't exist in my case anyway.

Old 10-07-2013, 02:18 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by earlyrover
jfall: "Not worth the trouble.
Or sell it.

If you are worried about that you can't afford a rover, so sell it.

you may save $500.

The head gasket job is $2,500, etc. etc., etc."
Again, I have been using the least expensive gasoline I could find, and I no longer hear any pinging at all, and, believe me, I pay attention to such things. No, I wont' "pony up the money for most expensive gas, nor will I sell my Rover. I have owned and worked on Land Rover and Rover sedans for around 50 years, and never have I found cheap gas causing head gasket failures---such comments are usually made by those who believe in myths; have no basis for their positions on such matters. The fact is that pre-ignition can cause piston head damage, but one can hear such pre-ignition, if one pays attention; I have none, so the ECU has taken care of that sort of thing, so it doesn't exist in my case anyway.
I'm a good listener,....and know what pinging sounds like, as I have induced it on a few cars in the past by setting the distributor / timing by ear and having it too advanced,....so, think I will try the regular.

Back when we had Sunoco gas stations with their "blending" pumps where you could select several different grades of octane rating,.....the recommendation was to keep going down one grade at a time with partial refills,....until you heard pinging, then go back up one grade, and assuming the pinging stopped there. You were done,....that was your grade.

Also, Some people also do not realize that the only difference between different fuel grades is OCTANE. The higher the octane, the SLOWER more controlled the flame front moves during combustion. Gas manufacturers don't want the general public to know this. If they can convince consumers that premium gas has other goodies that they should most likely have in their Premium car,................than all the better for the gasoline manufacturers.

Quick Reply: Any way to retard the ignition timing so that regular gas (not premium) can be used?