Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone ever replaced their own turn signal switch???

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 12:41 PM
Cal
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone ever replaced their own turn signal switch???

I remember reading a while ago about a guy who bought the switch (approx. $140) and had a dealer replace it for a measly $1,200 ! !

I could not, with a clear conscience, ever pay that much . . . unless there is no recourse!

Has anyone ever tackled steering wheel removal? Does this require any "special / factory tools"? What about the air bag? I've never messed with one before!

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx in advance,
Cal

Old 01-27-2011, 03:24 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I've never changed the switch but I have been down that far in order to wire in a gauge to the switch and it is stupid easy. You don't need any special tools (not even a steering wheel puller). It is actually really easy maybe it will take 2 hours max. Follow the rave, to get the wheel off just just bang the wheel a bit while pulling. You need a t27 (as I recall) screw driver to get the airbag off. Then it is just the steering wheel nut and some screws and you are done.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:04 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Definitely follow air bag procedures in RAVE!!!!! Unless you want to risk serious injury...

I might have to replace mine at some point. The right hand directional is sketchy. Sometimes it works just fine, other times I have to jiggle the stalk a bit to get it to work. I'm probably going to take it apart and see what can be done with the contacts before I spend $150 on a new one. I'm the kind of guy who is not afraid of taking anything apart to see if it can be fixed for cheap before replacing the whole thing.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:23 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

I just replaced my switch last night. Took 30 minutes to install. Removal of the steering wheel is not necessary. I will direct you to a thread that I used as my guide. Can't do it now- on the mobile. I ll post it tomorrow for you.

$1200 are you shi$$ing me?

I got a brand new stalk from AB for 150. why take a chance on a used one?!

Old 01-27-2011, 10:05 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by coors
I just replaced my switch last night. Took 30 minutes to install. Removal of the steering wheel is not necessary. I will direct you to a thread that I used as my guide. Can't do it now- on the mobile. I ll post it tomorrow for you.

Would your instructions also work for the wiper switch?

Old 01-28-2011, 11:07 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by mcgyver210
Would your instructions also work for the wiper switch?
It will guide to the point where you could make that determination. Im not sure what the wiper switch removal entails. The guide I had gave me access to underneath the steering column cover. I would assume its the same process or removing the wiper switch.
i'll post it later tonight. Sorry, on the mobile again.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:56 AM
Cal
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anxiously awaiting your follow-up post!

Originally Posted by coors

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Not only is not having turn signals and 4-way flashers just plain annoying . . . with the weather here of late, it's downright unsafe!!

I didn't go into details of the symptoms I'm seeing. When I flip the TS on (L or R), the dash light blinks once, but no signal. Same thing for 4-ways. Additionally, when I activate the keyless entry (Lock or unlock) none of the exterior lights blink.

Every couple of days or so, the signals will work for about 10 flashes, and then no more for a few days.

All of this leads me to suspect the switch, but there are also relays (one for L & one for R). Has any one ever suffer these symptoms with your Disco 2?

Any insight is appreciated.

Cal

Old 01-28-2011, 06:06 PM
Pro Wrench

After reading your most recent post I'm leary that a switch is your answer. Sounds like you have other issues. If your harzards dont work, then the turn signal switch isn't going to help. My hazard switch/remote unlock-lock-flashers functioned properly.

Here's what I used to give me access to the switch. Read the whole post before attempting removal. Pat attention to the post that explains how to pop the switch out from its mounting. CLICK ME