Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone replace the ABS shuttle valve seals?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 08:36 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Anyone replace the ABS shuttle valve seals?

...with the Falconworks FW65 seal kit? I am about to replace the shuttle valve switches, and thought I would go ahead and replace the seals while I'm in there. Two questions: What kind of tool did you use to remove/install the C-clips that retain the seals, and why does Falconworks supply 4 clips along with the seals? I would think there would just be one clip per seal... Do they give you extras to defeat the shop gnome that likes to steal critical parts when you aren't looking?

Old 06-05-2011, 09:44 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Might want to call Falcon works for their advice and make sure to do the ground repair and a full 2 quart brake flush when done.

Old 06-05-2011, 09:59 AM
Pro Wrench

Lol, of course I'm choosing to do this on a Sunday. I am definitely going to do Josh's circuit board bypass with the new shuttle valve switches, and another brake flush (which sucks because I just did that 6 months ago).

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Might want to call Falcon works for their advice and make sure to do the ground repair and a full 2 quart brake flush when done.

Old 06-05-2011, 11:55 AM
Pro Wrench

OK. This is seriously frustrating. I have the modulator off the vehicle and cannot figure out where these seals go. The C-clips provided in the kit are exactly the same size as the clips holding down the metal cup that retains the spring. The seals have the same inside diameter as the shuttle valve switches, but I have no idea if they are meant to go over the switch above the boot, under the allen-headed plug on top of the spring-retaining cup, or under the spring-retaining cup.

I really don't want to put it back together without replacing (or adding since I see no seals of the same size on the shuttle valve in the modulator) these seals, since I've already purchased them, nor do I really want to wait until tomorrow when I can contact Falconworks to get instructions having to drive the wife's car to work.

HELP!!

Old 06-05-2011, 01:15 PM
Pro Wrench

Duh. The valves pull completely out of the modulator, and go around the valve body itself. I finally found pictures of someone who had done this on the Australian Land Rover Owners website.

Seals now replaced. Why Falconworks sends 4 C-clips when the original valve springs are retained by 2 is still a mystery.

Old 06-05-2011, 03:17 PM
Pro Wrench

On the home stretch. Got a call back from someone at Falconworks, who happened to go into the shop on Sunday. Their seal kit comes with four C-clips because you use two clips per valve in place of the original one. I apologise for not taking pictures of this adventure, but here is a link to the Australian Land Rover Owners website with pictures of the valves removed (along with instructions for the seal kit) : Message - AULRO Photo Gallery You just need to create a username/password to view them.

Off to the parts store to get a wiring eyelet to ground a wire, and some brake fluid...

Old 06-05-2011, 07:53 PM
Pro Wrench

FINISHED!!!!!! Brakes gravity bled (one quart of brake fluid needed) and they feel as good as they did before the repair. Perhaps one day I will splurge for a Testbook brake bleed. (Mike, don't worry about the one quart thing. I flushed them with two quarts 6 months ago, as I do every two years)

I have started it several times, Amigo free. Test drove it around the neighborhood several times to test the HDC, which works as expected.

Now off to buy some beer to celebrate!

*while bleeding, I almost grabbed a beer bottle full of brake fluid!