Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ARGH!!!! 2000 D2 No Brake lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 02:56 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation ARGH!!!! 2000 D2 No Brake lights

Hello Fellow Disco Maniac's!

I've searched this forum and have tried to troubleshoot my problem, but I'm stuck.

Here's my sob story...

My rig was just fine until Friday night, when it suddenly got stuck in PARK with no brake lights. I checked the wrong fuse , then went ahead and installed a new brake switch. When that didn't work, I rechecked the fuses and discovered that the F25 fuse was blown, so I replaced it with another 15 amp fuse. Still no brake lights (or hazards), however I am now able to shift out of park.

Any suggestions on what I should check next? I do have an after market trailer harness, (installed over two years ago), but I don't know how to check that fuse. The trailer was not hooked up at the time.

Of course this all happens two days before my "Mommy Mental Health" solo camping trip. I can't very well tow around my tent trailer without brakes lights.... although it is a little tempting! Any advise would be welcome.

Please and Thank You!

Disco Dorothy

Old 08-05-2012, 03:23 PM
4th Gear

I should also mention that I replaced all of the brake lights a month or so ago. The only brake light I didn't replace was the one above the rear window. It was out, but I didn't have the right bulb, so I left it alone.
Thanks

Old 08-05-2012, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

OK Fuse 25 runs it all, so if it is now good, then do the reverse lights come on?

The reverse lamps use the same ground point (right hand side plus up high lamp), and (left hand) - each with separate ground points. So if the reverse lamps come on, the ground points are good. They are near the lamp holders in the pillar of the truck. Black wire. Could also be bad bulbs, messed up corroded sockets, etc.

If reverse lights come on, and brake don't, then might have to start digging into the "headers" that make up the joints for the wire harness, see RAVE.

Could also consider that trailer harness is the issue. You can unplug the truck to trailer connector, see pix. Also check all fuses even remotely involved - F14 under hood, F4, F11, F29, F33 inside the truck.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 trailer connector.pdf (146.6 KB, 486 views)
Old 08-05-2012, 09:50 PM
4th Gear
Angry I spoke too soon....

So.... the F25 15 amp fuse keeps blowing.... Works for about a second, and then POP!

Old 08-06-2012, 04:54 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Then my next step would be to divide and conquer - by removing the trailer connector. If still popping the rear lights will have to come out, check for corroded lamp bases, remove lamps on one side and see if other will work or fuse still blows.

Very important point - fuse is blowing for a reason, do not replace with larger size or truck can catch on fire. Can be bad/wrong bulbs, bad sockets, skinned wire grounding to metal, etc. Glad this happened at home rather than on the trail.

Old 08-07-2012, 01:56 PM
4th Gear

Thank you Mr. Buzz for all of your input. I changed out the trailer wiring from the convertor back and that fixed my shifting and brake light probelm! However...... My hazards and turn signals are inop. When I use my turn signal the dash light blinks one, then nothing.

Nevermind!!!! All is well! It was my F14 underhood fuse!!! This forum is great. I've learned a lot.

Looks like my camping trip is back on! And away I go.....

Thanks Again-

Discodorothy

Old 01-05-2018, 01:43 PM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default No brake lights or blinkers after rain Dii

Originally Posted by discodorothy
Hello Fellow Disco Maniac's!

I've searched this forum and have tried to troubleshoot my problem, but I'm stuck.

Here's my sob story...

My rig was just fine until Friday night, when it suddenly got stuck in PARK with no brake lights. I checked the wrong fuse , then went ahead and installed a new brake switch. When that didn't work, I rechecked the fuses and discovered that the F25 fuse was blown, so I replaced it with another 15 amp fuse. Still no brake lights (or hazards), however I am now able to shift out of park.

Any suggestions on what I should check next? I do have an after market trailer harness, (installed over two years ago), but I don't know how to check that fuse. The trailer was not hooked up at the time.

Of course this all happens two days before my "Mommy Mental Health" solo camping trip. I can't very well tow around my tent trailer without brakes lights.... although it is a little tempting! Any advise would be welcome.

Please and Thank You!

Disco Dorothy
this post helped, thanks, had the problem of stuck in park, no rear lights and kept blowing f25 under the steering wheel, unplugged the trailer wire harness behind passenger brake light, replaced fuse f25 under steeing wheel and f14 under hood and all is good now.

The following 2 users liked this post by logstonc:
glopez2k (08-17-2020), JUKE179r (08-19-2020)
Old 01-06-2018, 05:28 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

When I first started reading the original post, immediate thought trailer wiring...since our 03 had this same issue.

It's nice when folks come back and post their fix for an issue...and use a thread title that helps during a search function.

Brian.

The following 2 users liked this post by The Deputy:
glopez2k (08-17-2020), Richard Gallant (08-18-2020)
Old 08-17-2020, 02:46 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by logstonc
this post helped, thanks, had the problem of stuck in park, no rear lights and kept blowing f25 under the steering wheel, unplugged the trailer wire harness behind passenger brake light, replaced fuse f25 under steeing wheel and f14 under hood and all is good now.
I am having a similar problem. No brake lights and gear shifter stuck in P, also have AM trailer harness from Atlantic British which I disconnected. I replaced the brake light switch on the brake pedal, fuse F25 under the steering wheel was blown and replaced, fuse F14 under the hood is good. Checked all other fuses and seem good as well. Still no lights and stuck. Any other ideas where to check? Thanks!!

Old 08-18-2020, 07:45 PM
Received 1,131 Likes on 781 Posts

Check the fuses again and all the bulbs

The following users liked this post:
glopez2k (08-19-2020)

Quick Reply: ARGH!!!! 2000 D2 No Brake lights