Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ARGH!!!! 2000 D2 No Brake lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2020, 05:44 AM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Richard Gallant
Check the fuses again and all the bulbs
you are absolutely right. I checked the fuses again (third time) and found F25 blown. Replaced and nothing. Please note that at this point I had replaced the brake light switch with the Autozone aftermarket “upgraded” version. So at this point I had decided to take the truck to the dealership. The thinking of the variables (fuse and switch) I went back one last time and swapped the brake light switch back to the original and voila! Lights came back and gear shifter free!!

Thank you very much! These posts are a great source of information and guidance.

Old 08-19-2020, 06:22 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,251 Likes on 1,669 Posts

The new style switch adjust differently vs the older style. If you do not adjust it properly = it won't work.

Been a while since I've had to touch a D2 Brake Switch, but on the old style you pressed the pedal down, and then twisted it and removed it. Then to install you press the pedal down, twist it in and it adjust when the pedal hits it. On the new style you leave the pedal in place, twist into position, and it sets the gap and locks it once it's twisted.

The following 2 users liked this post by Best4x4:
glopez2k (08-19-2020), Richard Gallant (08-19-2020)
Old 08-19-2020, 08:12 AM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Best4x4
The new style switch adjust differently vs the older style. If you do not adjust it properly = it won't work.

Been a while since I've had to touch a D2 Brake Switch, but on the old style you pressed the pedal down, and then twisted it and removed it. Then to install you press the pedal down, twist it in and it adjust when the pedal hits it. On the new style you leave the pedal in place, twist into position, and it sets the gap and locks it once it's twisted.
that explains the apparently short probe on the new style. I wish I would have known this. Thanks!

The following users liked this post:
SouthxSW (10-06-2021)
Old 09-09-2021, 09:42 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
OK Fuse 25 runs it all, so if it is now good, then do the reverse lights come on?

The reverse lamps use the same ground point (right hand side plus up high lamp), and (left hand) - each with separate ground points. So if the reverse lamps come on, the ground points are good. They are near the lamp holders in the pillar of the truck. Black wire. Could also be bad bulbs, messed up corroded sockets, etc.

If reverse lights come on, and brake don't, then might have to start digging into the "headers" that make up the joints for the wire harness, see RAVE.

Could also consider that trailer harness is the issue. You can unplug the truck to trailer connector, see pix. Also check all fuses even remotely involved - F14 under hood, F4, F11, F29, F33 inside the truck.
Hi. What do you mean by this statement, "If reverse lights come on, and brake don't, then might have to start digging into the "headers" What do you mean by headers and rave? that make up the joints for the wire harness, see RAVE." My handbrake light comes on as I am driving and my brake lights do not work but my reverse and rear lamps work. I saw my new brake fluid master cylinder sensor cap was slightly loose. I loosened the cap, let the cap drain and shaked to see if the floater is okay, which it was. I have just completed a 500km drive on tarmac. I don't know whether all this is connected.

Old 09-09-2021, 11:15 AM
TReK
Received 764 Likes on 632 Posts

Headers in this context means the points at which multiple ground wires connect to the chassis of the truck. If the ground connections are not clean and tight, the added resistance can cause problems with electrical systems.
RAVE refers to the Land Rover service manual for these trucks. There are links to this freely-available document all over this forum. You will need this if you are going to do any work on your vehicle.

Also note that you were asking for a reply on a post from 2012. The original author may not be available at this point.

The following users liked this post:
SouthxSW (10-06-2021)