Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ARP Studs versus Head Bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 07:36 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by RoverMasterTech
1. Without scheduled re-torquing the head gaskets would have not lasted as long if ARP studs had been factory.

2. Yes, factory Land Rover bolts DO NOT clamp tight enough before stretching, this has been known since the 90's, the dealer I worked at switched to aftermarket head bolts to correct this problem in like 2003.

3. The ends of the heads move outward during expansion and contraction, gradually sanding off the gasket right at the coolant passages. (this expansion and contraction can/should be minimized by switching to an inline 180* thermostat) The swelling upwards of the head can also stretch any type of fastener, TTY or stud, thereby lessening the clamping force. ARP studs with yearly (or 6 month increment) re-torquing would probably work better than stretch bolts in the long run, but for the average Joe they are just not feasible, and will not offer any benefit that I can see.
Very interesting answer

Re: re-torquing

Would you loosen them all the way and torque in three steps, or just check to see if each nut is still at the final torque from the initial installation?

Old 04-18-2013, 07:53 AM
Baja

I wouldn't be surprised if an important part of the puzzle was the thermostat. It would be interesting to know how many have been replaced with parts store thermostats (which list the correct one as 195) and then have head gasket failure.
The correct US thermostat is a 180.
There's also the issue of the factory temp gauge which don't properly register overheat so the drive may never know. As far as the driver knows, "It never overheated and now my head gaskets are bad!"

Old 04-18-2013, 08:38 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In all the rebuilds I did for the Cadillac motors, I never re-torqued the head with ARP studs. The heads are torqued in a cold state. The warm up will add growth to the dimensions and have an additive force on the stud/bolt. The sanding of the head gasket due to contraction/expansion is a very far stretch of the imagination. If you are concerned about the composition of the gasket being eroded away, then I would suggest you go to the Cometic gasket as I have been saying for several months.

Cometic is a properly designed gasket in regards to fire ring position, diameter, and construction. Yes it does cost more as well, which seems to be a concern to someone putting a thousand bucks of labor and parts into a rebuild. Go figure on common sense!!!

Some of this stuff is a joke I read. If you are concerned about coolant temp then buy the inline thermostat housing and drop in a 180 degree Chevrolet thermostat with a weep hole. Or machine the manifold to accept the Chevrolet thermostat and bolt on your elbow. How come all of the aluminum based engined from other manufactures don't have sanded head gaskets and failures from thermal expansion/contraction with a fiber gasket?? Hmmmm. Is that what is really causing blown head gaskets to begin with?

What is the tensile strength of the stock head bolt to be able to say they are the cause of failed head gaskets? I'd like you to provide an actual tensile test on the bolt (new and aftermarket) as reference to specs..

Last edited by racerxnet; 04-18-2013 at 08:51 AM.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:57 AM
Baja

Originally Posted by racerxnet
Some of this stuff is a joke I read. If you are concerned about coolant temp....
Right, over heating is a non-issue. What was I thinking?!

Old 04-18-2013, 10:27 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by antichrist
Right, over heating is a non-issue. What was I thinking?!

You were not thinking at all when posting just a snippet which confirms my position. Include all of the paragraph for accuracy.

"Some of this stuff is a joke I read. If you are concerned about coolant temp then buy the inline thermostat housing and drop in a 180 degree Chevrolet thermostat with a weep hole. Or machine the manifold to accept the Chevrolet thermostat and bolt on your elbow."

Thanks and have a nice day.

P.S. antichrist, I am not focused on you or picking on you. I'd be interested in you providing the tensile test of the aftermarket and OEM head bolt you refer to as solving the HG issue. I can do this if sent 2 bolts and record the results. Again, have a nice day.

Last edited by racerxnet; 04-18-2013 at 10:38 AM.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:08 PM
Baja

You were not thinking at all when posting just a snippet which confirms my position. Include all of the paragraph for accuracy.
I quoted the relevant part. You replied to my post about over heating being an issue by saying stuff you're reading is a joke, then go on to say if one thinks over heating is an issue, as if it isn't.
The rest you wrote, about a complicated alternative to just using the correct thermostat, is irrlevant.

I'd be interested in you providing the tensile test of the aftermarket and OEM head bolt you refer to as solving the HG issue.
Maybe you would. But since I never made any such claim you can do the tests if you want.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:26 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Here is some hard core math.
The verbiage is worth a read with respect to torque.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...,d.cGE&cad=rja

Old 04-22-2013, 08:34 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Its called modulus of elasticity.I learned that some time ago in class when younger. I would reexamine parts of your response as some of them have no merit. I'll sign out on this topic, as it is a worthless cause on the Land Rover block in stock configuration. There are just to many design deficiencies inherent with the engine/management overall.

Good Luck to all

MAK
I've been out of the country for a while, so I'm jst getting caught up on here but this is not quite correct. You must have missed some of the points discussed in materials class. The modulus of elasticity, or Young's Modulus, is a material specific coeffiient used in Hooke's Law to relate stress to strain within the straight-line potion of the stress-strain diagram. Once the stress exceeds the point where Hooke's Law no longer applies (the proportional limit) then the Modulus of Elasticity no longer comes into play. A bolt that stretches and permanently elongates has exceeded this point and is now on the plastic portion of the curve.

Anyway, when I'm ready to drop an extra $1,100 on the valve train of an engine that never revs past 5,000 rpm I'll be sure to contact you. Based on your responses throughout this thread I'm sure you are great to deal with from the customer side.