Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ashtray's official selfhelp/progress thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 09:48 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

You may already have the button and the wiring... Possibly someone went cheap and installed a non heated windshield instead of a heated one at some point. Quite a difference in cost if you don't have glass coverage on your insurance.

Every Disco came with the wiring, if you have the button then you know your truck originally had the heated windshield.

Now you can choose to either pay for the heated windshield or not based on whether you already have the button. If you have the button and wiring and not the money, or you live in a non freezing area, you can go cheap again and not get the heated windscreen.

If your truck never had a heated windscreen it would not have the button. you can still add the this feature as mentioned in other posts.

Last edited by Dave03S; 08-17-2012 at 09:54 PM.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:19 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jafir
Heated windscreen.

I added one to my 03. You need the button, the relay, and someone to reprogram the BCU you know it's there.
Originally Posted by br0keit
I believe the ultragauge only has 2 models...the "new" one and the "old" one...get the "new" one...it wont say new but you'll figure it out.
Gonna put a hold on that order until I get the bleed screw.
Originally Posted by Dave03S
You may already have the button and the wiring... Possibly someone went cheap and installed a non heated windshield instead of a heated one at some point. Quite a difference in cost if you don't have glass coverage on your insurance.

Every Disco came with the wiring, if you have the button then you know your truck originally had the heated windshield.

Now you can choose to either pay for the heated windshield or not based on whether you already have the button. If you have the button and wiring and not the money, or you live in a non freezing area, you can go cheap again and not get the heated windscreen.

If your truck never had a heated windscreen it would not have the button. you can still add the this feature as mentioned in other posts.
I am in a VERY non freeze zone of the country haha, I'm fine with a non heated especially if the price difference is huge, and as of right now I dont know if my insurance covers it.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:06 PM
Mudding

Upper radiator hose bleed screw just came in. What steps do I take to install the new one? Do I just unscrew the old and screw in the new? Is there a bleeding process? If I could have a step by step that'd be great. First thing I'll be doing in the bay of a Land Rover. Thanks!

Old 08-23-2012, 06:02 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by ashtray
Upper radiator hose bleed screw just came in. What steps do I take to install the new one? Do I just unscrew the old and screw in the new? Is there a bleeding process? If I could have a step by step that'd be great. First thing I'll be doing in the bay of a Land Rover. Thanks!
Yes, just unscrew it and screw in a new one. You might need to bleed it though. Raise the radiator expansion tank above the battery and let some coolant come out of the top hose and simply screw it down.

Old 08-23-2012, 06:10 PM
Mudding

Thank oilspotLR. Got off the phone a while ago with lr2001silver and he walked me through step by step since I'm also gonna be flushing and cleaning out the entire system. Also got a front drive prop shaft on the way from Justin at dynamic drive line.

Old 08-23-2012, 06:36 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default You may wanna find a good indy mechanic...

Having to be talked through replacing the upper hose bleed screw is a bad sign... Have you downloaded the Rave manual? Just sayin'.

Old 08-23-2012, 06:42 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by DonRW2007
Having to be talked through replacing the upper hose bleed screw is a bad sign... Have you downloaded the Rave manual? Just sayin'.
Lol well its the first time I work on a Rover let alone look under the hood of one. Yeah I have looked through it, and it's an extremely well put together in depth piece of literature. I do appreciate the concern though! I guess with it being a Land Rover I'm just really nervous about screwing anything up on it. My Lexus was a piece of cake to work on...I like the extra confidence of a friend over the phone when encountering a new truck/engine.

edit: The "talk through" was for draining and bleeding the system. Lol The screw replacement didn't seem THAT difficult! Once I get through a few projects on this Disco though I'm sure I'll feel as comfortable as I have on other cars.

Last edited by ashtray; 08-23-2012 at 06:44 PM.
Old 08-25-2012, 02:01 PM
Mudding
Exclamation 8-25-12 update on temps

So Here is an update.

I got my ultragauge and it is such an awesome tool. Here are my current temps

Leave house straight to highway, stays at 194.00F
Slight stop and go with long roads in between lights, stays around 194-195.8
Real bad city driving with sitting for periods of 2-5 minutes until finally getting the light and departing, (while sitting) it spiked at 207.8 and right when I took off it went to 204.5, 201.2 and then stayed between ~196-199.## and only hit the 194.00-195.8 once I got back onto the highway. Once I got off and hit one short light, then another, and finally entered my apartment and parked, it hit 201.2 and stayed there as I turned it off because I did not want it to go any higher. What do you all think on this temps? Should I perform a good radiator flush? Or consider another t-stat? I'm in Texas and it only gets hot here. Really hot. During all of this the temperature outside was ~96-99 with traffic every where. I never floored it, just gave it proper throttle to get up to legal speed limit.

Old 08-25-2012, 03:22 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You should check into getting a motorad 180 t-stat if you want to run cooler. Also important that coolant system is properly bled. There are alot of components involved in a coolant system and any one of them can cause major problems.

Old 08-25-2012, 03:43 PM
Winching

Thats about my temp range on the montrad 180. On the highway I run 194.0 the entire time, A/C on or off doesn't matter. In city the max it goes to is 205. I set the alarm to let me know if it get to 212. However I'm running 50/50 pre mix. What are you using for coolant?

Quick Reply: Ashtray's official selfhelp/progress thread