Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ashtray's official selfhelp/progress thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2012 | 07:33 PM
|
Mudding

Next on the list of things to do

The front driver side door and rear passenger side doors do not lock or unlock with the fob or lock/unlock button in the cabin...how can I go about fixing this? Do I remove the door panels and simply look for something in particular?

Old 09-29-2012 | 11:49 PM
Pro Wrench

Which ever one doesn't work usually needs to be replaced

Old 09-30-2012 | 07:09 AM
Super Moderator

X2 on that, lube may work, but certainly not always. If a u-pull junkyard exists near you practice your door panel removal skills on a donor vehicle. The plastic fasteners are secured in the structural foam plastic of the door panel, and pushed into holes in the metal door. They will pull out in one piece, best to use some of those tools sold at parts stores for removal of upholstery. Too much force and you tear out the slot they mount to in the foam door panel. They can be located by feeling with a thin putty knife blade, but something notched that can pry on both side will yield better results.

Old 09-30-2012 | 01:59 PM
|
Mudding

Originally Posted by Spencerfitch
Which ever one doesn't work usually needs to be replaced
Damn

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
X2 on that, lube may work, but certainly not always. If a u-pull junkyard exists near you practice your door panel removal skills on a donor vehicle. The plastic fasteners are secured in the structural foam plastic of the door panel, and pushed into holes in the metal door. They will pull out in one piece, best to use some of those tools sold at parts stores for removal of upholstery. Too much force and you tear out the slot they mount to in the foam door panel. They can be located by feeling with a thin putty knife blade, but something notched that can pry on both side will yield better results.
Damn..And what is it that causes this to happen? I looked at a picknpulls inventory, and they only had DI's, will they have the same set up for me to practice on?

Old 10-01-2012 | 04:50 AM
Pro Wrench

Sometimes wee have a tendency to over complicate anything. You don't have to find a discovery to practice on. It's different than any other car out there.. By the way I use my bare fingers to pry the door panels off.. Never and issue and I have done many. And 3 on my current d2

Please I swear its easy.

Old 10-01-2012 | 05:34 AM
Pro Wrench

But obviously first make sure the door actuators not making a sound when you click remote if it is there may still be hope, I hear there's a replaceable spring. If not contact Paul grant, he sold me my rears for I think 25$ each or was it 50...

Old 10-01-2012 | 06:41 PM
|
Mudding

Sometimes wee have a tendency to over complicate anything. You don't have to find a discovery to practice on. It's different than any other car out there.. By the way I use my bare fingers to pry the door panels off.. Never and issue and I have done many. And 3 on my current d2

Please I swear its easy.
Okay cool I trust myself and my abilities so I guess I'll take some time this weekend to check it out.

But obviously first make sure the door actuators not making a sound when you click remote if it is there may still be hope, I hear there's a replaceable spring. If not contact Paul grant, he sold me my rears for I think 25$ each or was it 50...
Will do.

Old 10-01-2012 | 11:49 PM
Pro Wrench

Sorry I meant its no different than anything else out there. Some people use the panel popper I use my hands. You will eventually find one or two of the clips stay in the door instead of the panel.. Just pull them off and put them
Back on door panel. If you loose or break a few you can easily get by with 3 or so less and never notice. Just don't forget to remove screw behind door handle and the two on the pull bar and if your doing the frost they are all around the little cubby pocket thing

Old 10-02-2012 | 10:23 AM
|
Mudding

Sorry I meant its no different than anything else out there. Some people use the panel popper I use my hands. You will eventually find one or two of the clips stay in the door instead of the panel.. Just pull them off and put them
Back on door panel. If you loose or break a few you can easily get by with 3 or so less and never notice. Just don't forget to remove screw behind door handle and the two on the pull bar and if your doing the frost they are all around the little cubby pocket thing
Cool. Thank you. Seems I have my weekend cut out for me.

Old 10-08-2012 | 05:07 PM
|
Mudding

ANNNND I just found this. I went off-roading the other day, nothing crazy just some rough dirt-rocky road and a few muddy puddles. This was first loose and is now off...should I replace it? Is it bad to not have it? What do you all do? This is all on the driver(left) side front wheel.
Name:  IMG_1234.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  95.7 KB
This is what is now exposed
Name:  IMG_1235.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  108.4 KB

Last edited by ashtray; 10-08-2012 at 05:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Ashtray's official selfhelp/progress thread