Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ATF ENGINE FLUSH QUESTION.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 08:58 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATF ENGINE FLUSH QUESTION.

I am gradually bringing my 94 Disco up to snuff. I purchased it about a month ago, it has 174,000 miles on it. Since I have had it I have replaced all fluids, topped up swivel pins, lubed all U-joints and slip joints, replaced differential fluids, transmission (5 speed) and transfer case. Done an ignition tune up (Champion plugs, Magnacore 8mm wires, Rover OEM Rotor and Cap, new High performance coil), Replaced the Idle Air control valve, new o2 sensors, new fuel filter, "some" new vacuum lines, new clamps on most vacuum lines, new battery and starter, new intake valley gasket. (was leaking). I have been hesitant to do it, but yesterday I did a Seafoam induction cleaning. Whew, plenty of white smoke when I took it out to drive it (as recommended after waiting for a few minutes with the engine shut off). It runs very very good now, idles so smooth it is hard to tell the engine is running.

OK, now my question. I have lots of oil seepage, so I am thinking of having the valve cover gaskets replaced, and having the pan dropped cleaned out and oil screen cleaned and then replaced and sealed, as my first step to stopping the oil seeps. I have heard here about doing an engine flush with ATF. I ran this idea by the independent small shop I sometimes use for stuff that would be better done with the truck up on a lift, and they had never heard of it. So...I need precise instructions that I can give them to follow. They seem willing to do just about anything I want them to do, but very few people come in for "preventative maitenence" type of services.

Thanks in advance for any instructions.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:14 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: ATF ENGINE FLUSH QUESTION.

I did this a few weeks ago with my '03. Even though it only has 50k on the clock, I thought it might be a good preventative measure.

Anyway, I picked up 6 quarts of cheap ATF.

Once I was set, I warmed the engine up and drained the oil. Once empty, I added all 6 quarts of ATF.

I fired the engine up and assumed the ready position at the key.....hovering like an erect cobra waiting to strike....and listening for the slightest unusual noise coming from the motor. I'd never heard of it before either, and didn't know what to expect so I wasplaying it safe.

After 15 minutes of idling I shut the key off and drained the ATF from the oil pan. What went in as a nice healthy pink came out a dark, smelly purple.

I then replaced the drain plug and replaced the oil filter (after filling it up with fresh oil, of course).

After that, it was a matter of adding the rest of the oil and being done with it.

I haven't had any problems yet.

Funny thing, though. The engine was smoother idling and less noisy while running the ATF than with the regular oil.

Go figure.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:03 PM
Three Wheeling

I would not use ATF as a flush.

Read this and decide for yourself. http://home.bendbroadband.com/bypola...orvair_oil.pdf

Old 05-22-2008, 09:08 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

I worked with dealers for 30 years as a writer and service manager. 25 years ago our manufactures taught us to do ATF flushes, with great success.
Do the flush as mentioned above, but for 20 minutes plus and your engine will quiet down and have better oil flow.
By the way, as for the above mentioned Corvair engine/issues, this has nothing to do with our current bad gas, poorily made oil and driving conditions.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:06 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Listen to Mike! He knows what he is talking about.

Old 05-23-2008, 02:27 AM
Three Wheeling

ORIGINAL: Disco Mike

I worked with dealers for 30 years as a writer and service manager. 25 years ago our manufactures taught us to do ATF flushes, with great success.
Do the flush as mentioned above, but for 20 minutes plus and your engine will quiet down and have better oil flow.
By the way, as for the above mentioned Corvair engine/issues, this has nothing to do with our current bad gas, poorily made oil and driving conditions.
I would listen to Mike Also, Glad to have him at the forums.

I used to do ATF flushes myself but that was years ago and I personally have found it un nesscary these days. In special cercumstances i see it being viable.

I will not be doing any myself.

The Corvair Doc is a good read in my mind and like every thing on the web it needs decifered and applied in small doses.