Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto shifting, stalling, steering pump issues...

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 11:27 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto shifting, stalling, steering pump issues...

Howdy all,
Just bought a 2001 Discovery II that had been sitting for a long long time. I've discovered a few issues that I don't know if related...
At startup the steering pump sometimes makes a knocking sound that usually goes away after a few minutes, intermittent heavy steering... (already have a replacement lined up)

Occasional low speed stalling, ex: parking lot maneuvering. Possibly related to steering pump?

Intermittently not shifting from 2nd to 3rd in "D". Will rev up to 4-5k and not shift. If I shift lever down to "3" it works fine. I will sometimes shift it back up to "D" and it seems to work fine... I'm planning a Trans oil change using Atlantic British's trans oil kit to see if it helps... Hoping it's not a sensor or other issue...

It of course has the 3 Amigos party going on but when I stopped at Vatozone to have the codes read, the only code was the "needs MAF replaced" code... WTF?

Which reminds me,the air filter and MAF sensor were filthy and full of leaf debris and I was surprised it even ran with how clogged it was.

Apologies for the lengthy post, TIA

Old 03-12-2017, 12:05 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullykatz
Howdy all,
Just bought a 2001 Discovery II that had been sitting for a long long time. I've discovered a few issues that I don't know if related...
At startup the steering pump sometimes makes a knocking sound that usually goes away after a few minutes, intermittent heavy steering... (already have a replacement lined up)

Occasional low speed stalling, ex: parking lot maneuvering. Possibly related to steering pump?

Intermittently not shifting from 2nd to 3rd in "D". Will rev up to 4-5k and not shift. If I shift lever down to "3" it works fine. I will sometimes shift it back up to "D" and it seems to work fine... I'm planning a Trans oil change using Atlantic British's trans oil kit to see if it helps... Hoping it's not a sensor or other issue...

It of course has the 3 Amigos party going on but when I stopped at Vatozone to have the codes read, the only code was the "needs MAF replaced" code... WTF?

Which reminds me,the air filter and MAF sensor were filthy and full of leaf debris and I was surprised it even ran with how clogged it was.

Apologies for the lengthy post, TIA
welcome to the disco club and stay away from Atlantic British if you can. Lucky8 beats their price all day every day. Most code readers will not show the reason for the 3 amigos. It usually shows a shuttle valve failure and that's it. It's an internal issue in that block and there is a sticky on the bypass which will likely fix that problem. Replacing your maf, use a Bosch. They actually for some reason seem to last longer and work better with the system. You can do a flush per say on your power steering and there is a sticky on that also. That could help clean up that issue. On your transmission issue, I would change the fluid with a good quality fluid, get your filter from lucky8 and if u order it off of eBay, u get it for pretty cheap with free shipping. Also add a bottle of Lucas trans stabilizer and that might help out some.

Old 03-12-2017, 12:28 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Don't bother doing the option b fix until you read the ABS codes. A lot of free shops don't have the code reader specific to the ABS system. I have an Autel A619 reader which does everything for every vehicle, there are other options from Hawkeye etc.. Start with finding out which codes are in your ABS computer. You might have to do option b, you might just need a wheel speed sensor.

Old 03-12-2017, 02:10 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts

Firstly, use the A&B part numbers and check prices on Amazon, LRDirect, or Lucky8. I have found EVERYTHING they offer for cheaper and free shipping.

Secondly, Try the Bosch MAF and see what happens

Thirdly, Get the iCarsoft LR II for your Land Rover so you can read and delete your own codes. If you can't delete the codes, they don't magically go away after replacing the part.

Old 01-25-2019, 03:22 PM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by Best4x4
Yep it started right back up with no issues. It would die in D or R. I inspected the IAC (no faults) and it was froze up completely. Removed it, cleaned it until it was free, and re-installed it. Customer thought their transmission was one the way out.
I think this was for my thread. I will get the IAC off when it is not bone chilling cold and inspect.