Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

auto start

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 12:13 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a block heater installed with a plug in heater in the cabin,when cold we just plug it in the electrical outlet with a timer and set the timer in the evening to start the car block heater to run as the in cabin heater in the morning.The car is nice and warm when i go to work,saves fuel too.Oh and i live in Finland where it gets might cold.

Old 11-16-2011, 03:57 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by antichrist
Well, a big help to starting it would be a gear reduction starter from British Starters, a heavy duty AGM battery like Odyssey or Sears Platinum and beefing up the starter cables so you don't have as much volt drop.
Already upgraded to Trojan AGM and AWG2 for the cables. Works OK, but there are those times when the disco sits for a while in the freezing temps and is sluggish to start.
I don't have that issue at home where I can plug in the block heater, but I think the extreme cold does have an effect on it when it is just left sitting. And on the plus side, it's always toasty warm when I go home

Old 11-16-2011, 04:32 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

ZeroStat used to make a propane fired preheater, but for some reason they quit making them. I wish I'd bought one when I was thinking about it 25 years ago.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:05 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Andrew Davies
I

I have now programmed the remote starter to operate the security system, door locking etc and when I lock the car with the remote starter fob the security is active. When remote starting, the doors are momentarily unlocked, deactivating the immobilizer for the engine to start. As soon as the engine starts the doors lock again. All of this takes about 2 sec and the engine runs no problem.

So short answer, no I don't have a spare key fob in the car as the security system does not require it and a transponder bypass is just a waste of money.

Hope this helps (I have a Pro-start CT-3471TW from Canadian Tire)

Did you just connect the wires from looking in thr RAVE? Did you do anything extra to make it work the security system?

Old 11-16-2011, 09:37 PM
Overlanding

I checked RAVE for the wiring schematic and also used the wiring guide which came with the starter. With the help of a multimeter to confirm the wires were correct it was pretty simple to install. The oem alarm intergration was a programming feature of the remote starter. No magic or witchcraft required ;-)

Old 11-16-2011, 10:23 PM
4wd Low

there's no reason you cannot install the remote start if you want one. if you find it makes your life easier, have at it. we have had them on 2 of our most recent daily drivers with no issues.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:39 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Andrew Davies
I checked RAVE for the wiring schematic and also used the wiring guide which came with the starter. With the help of a multimeter to confirm the wires were correct it was pretty simple to install. The oem alarm intergration was a programming feature of the remote starter. No magic or witchcraft required ;-)
Take a look at these links for the wiring schematics for my starter.

http://www.engines911.com/asdocs/CT_...s40_080813.pdf

http://www.engines911.com/asdocs/CT_...s40_081014.pdf

http://www.discovery2.co.uk/pdf_file...grams_03MY.pdf

The last one is for the circuit diagrams for the whole vehicle. I just pared the starter schematics to the vehicle and tested with a multimeter to confirm the correct wires.