Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The AWD / Full Time 4WD Debate

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 05:18 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ammo: ford explorers are fugly, and have no soul. Rovers are a thing of beauty, and drive you as much as you them.
________
LovelyWendie99

Last edited by phatduc; 05-03-2011 at 08:57 PM.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:53 PM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by antichrist
No. The center diff is either fully open or locked.
Ok well then I'm definitely one of those people who apparently don't know jack about transfer cases (or at least ours).

If the a non-CDL TC doesn't allow power to the props to vary, how do they both get power? A CDL equally distributes the power to both, so in a sans CDL Rover doesn't the power to each prop fluctuate based on slippage?

Break it down for me Tom, I'm clearly a total newb at this. I'm also really curious now.

Old 12-03-2010, 02:37 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ShortTom
Ok well then I'm definitely one of those people who apparently don't know jack about transfer cases (or at least ours).

If the a non-CDL TC doesn't allow power to the props to vary, how do they both get power? A CDL equally distributes the power to both, so in a sans CDL Rover doesn't the power to each prop fluctuate based on slippage?

Break it down for me Tom, I'm clearly a total newb at this. I'm also really curious now.
the disco without a CDL cant lock the center diff because you don't have a center diff lock(CDL), it allows power to both shafts through a diff but it doesn't lock so if any wheel slips all the power goes to the slipping tire. If your rover has CDL it locks the diff in the transfer case so that both the drive shafts spin at the same speed, if a wheel slips in the back the front shaft still spins giving the front axle power, and vise versa. here is the video, keep in mind the disco has 3 diffs one in each axle and one in the transfercase. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4JhruinbWc

Old 12-03-2010, 04:33 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tweakrover
the disco without a CDL cant lock the center diff because you don't have a center diff lock(CDL), it allows power to both shafts through a diff but it doesn't lock so if any wheel slips all the power goes to the slipping tire. If your rover has CDL it locks the diff in the transfer case so that both the drive shafts spin at the same speed, if a wheel slips in the back the front shaft still spins giving the front axle power, and vise versa. here is the video, keep in mind the disco has 3 diffs one in each axle and one in the transfercase. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4JhruinbWc
THAT WAS A GOOD VIDEO.. Funny how they said stuff thought

Old 12-03-2010, 10:25 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

its way old, but explains how a diff works very well.