Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad audio quality. Need help diagnosing.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 12:05 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnKimble
Let me know what your parts will be and when you plan on doing it. I can write up a diagram so you don't have to go through the trial and error stuff I did.

Thanks, I just ordered a Parrot Asteroid deck and have a sub and amp from one of my other vehicles. I'll need to purchase the 4 channel amp and door speakers. I was already planning on the Polk for the front (based on Crutchfield). Do you happen to know what model your rear door speakers are? I was looking at the Blaupunkt Blue Magic speakers currently listed for the rears. If you are happy with yours, and they are cheaper, I'm game. I'm a bit of an audiophile as I produce using studio monitors as a hobby, but having something not draining to listen to in my vehicle is all I need. I just want a decent frequency range.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:23 AM
Drifting

Don't spend too much on the rear speakers..they are only for fill. The front components are where 90% of your sound is coming from. I'll get you a model number shortly.

Old 03-28-2014, 01:24 PM
Winching
Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Have been looking at this unit. Has just about everything I need- BT, Sirius, Aux jack, CD, what's not to like? thought I'd pass it along...

Alpine - CD - Built-In Bluetooth - In-Dash Deck with Satellite Radio Tuner

Model: CDE-SXM145BT, about $210.

Old 03-28-2014, 01:48 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wanted to mention an interesting problem I had with the Blaupunkt. It wouldn't work - it behaved as if it was muted all the time. I looked at the diagram for the rear connector, and there is a "mute" signal on pin 2, connector A. I cut this wire, and the stereo works great.

So it appears that I permanently had the "mute" on. My steering wheel controls are kind of knackered, so the mute button must have broken so as to be always on.

With the wire cut, my old LR stereo works now, too! Guess I'll keep it as a spare.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:35 PM
Drifting

Adding a single aftermarket sub is always a good idea since factory subs typically can't provide the same level of performance.

I too suffer from the rattling back door but the subs aren't blown, the back door and license plate assembly just need sound proofing badly. I've looked into replacing the factory subs with an couple of aftermarket 6.5" subs and maybe a little bit more power.

Old 03-30-2014, 03:54 PM
Drifting

Here's another great head unit:

http://mobile.jvc.com/product.jsp?mo...thId=54&page=1

$140

I just put one of these in to a customer's Discovery 2 last week. Great deck, great features, even greater price.

I installed this deck along with two pair of Powerbass 6.5" component separates, an Audiobahn 2 channel amp, an Audiobahn monoblock sub amp and two Powerbass 12" subs. Total with labor included $800. The system hits hard, low and clean.

Last edited by LRD2pdx; 03-30-2014 at 04:00 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:22 PM
Three Wheeling

I've never heard of Powerbass, but the price is intriguing. I wonder if there are any brick and mortar stores where I could listen to some.

Old 04-02-2014, 04:33 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Echoman
I've never heard of Powerbass, but the price is intriguing. I wonder if there are any brick and mortar stores where I could listen to some.
Where do you live?

Old 04-02-2014, 11:46 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by LRD2pdx
Here's another great head unit:

JVC Mobile Entertainment \ Bluetooth CD/USB Receiver - KD-R850BT \ Introduction

$140

I just put one of these in to a customer's Discovery 2 last week. Great deck, great features, even greater price.

I installed this deck along with two pair of Powerbass 6.5" component separates, an Audiobahn 2 channel amp, an Audiobahn monoblock sub amp and two Powerbass 12" subs. Total with labor included $800. The system hits hard, low and clean.

Hey LRD2, how easy was it to mount the deck into disco II? since factory stereo a simple 2 top clip/tab that release the deck. Is the JVC you mentioned above the same style (2 top clip/tab) or you need to bolt it onto the car?

Thanks

Old 04-02-2014, 06:48 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Quinn519

Hey LRD2, how easy was it to mount the deck into disco II? since factory stereo a simple 2 top clip/tab that release the deck. Is the JVC you mentioned above the same style (2 top clip/tab) or you need to bolt it onto the car?

Thanks
I used a kit from Metra and bolted it to the dash in place of the factory deck. The OEM deck is DIN and a half. The Metra kit added a pocket under the JVC. I placed the microphone just over the drivers side seatbelt pillar.

Go back to page 2 of this thread and see the Metra parts picture I posted for 2000 D2.

Last edited by LRD2pdx; 04-02-2014 at 06:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Bad audio quality. Need help diagnosing.