Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad trouble (Slipping Sleave?)....Need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 06:25 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Bad trouble (Slipping Sleave?)....Need advice.

Hey everyone....Thx for all the help the past weeks. 2000 Disco, 72K just bought a month ago. have been working through the 60K service, including Engine flush. Engine performance improved, and now seems to be getting worse. Still has a little knock to it. More when cold, than when hot.

Took it to Land Rover to see if they could diagnose the problem. Mechanic's opinion, without dropping the pan, is that he thinks there is a cylinder sleeve moving. But of course want $300 to pull the pan and check.

Can they even tell this by pulling the pan?, and frankly I'm not planning on buying a short block from the dealer....which would be their recomendation.

Any advice, experiences, anything at this point would be great......Hate to give up on this truck, and frankly don't really want to walk away from all the time and money already put into it. Is it possible to replace a cylinder sleeve?

Old 03-03-2009, 06:52 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

No you cannot just replace a sleeve.
Can youi describe the knock better?
Is it a slow deep thud thud or a faster lighter tick tick?

Old 03-03-2009, 07:02 PM
Overlanding

It has a little tick tick, probably lifter noise, but most went away after the engine flush and oil change. There is also a slightly deeper tick/thud......which I had first thought was just an exhaust leak. The noise does seem to be coming from the lower end of the engine, and the tech confirmed also.

Another strange one when it's cold is a rythmic da da da da dadadadadada da da da da ....sorry to sound a little silly.

Last edited by maddisco; 03-03-2009 at 07:08 PM.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:21 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey maddisco,

are the transmission and front driveshaft in good shape...?

I would stick with it dude. Just be patient. It took me years to get my Disco, and even though it's got a hole in the transmission, and a broken driveshaft, I love it.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:22 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Sounds like lifter noise and maybe a bad cat.
With the engine off take a hammer and gently bang on the cats and see if they rattle.
I just find it hard to believe that it has a dropped sleeve.
Unless the previous owner overheated it.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:38 PM
Overlanding

I find it hard to believe too, but maybe a little more background info might help.

Bought the car at the local nissan dealership, it was a trade in. Spent most of it's life in the Dakotas, I'm in Dallas. Truck looks great, shiny paint, 0 electrical problems, and everything seems to work as it should.

The manager had mentioned that they had to put some work into the truck, after I had mentioned the concern about common head gasket issues. He said " I think that it had been done on that truck". Between that comment, and the pretty orange new coolant, I'm thinking they got stuck with that job.

I suppose it's possible that the engine overheated when the head gasket blew( if it did), but I don't know that it would have dropped a sleave. Anything is possible, I'm just working through the puzzle.

Last edited by maddisco; 03-03-2009 at 07:41 PM.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:43 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

If the noise went away and or improved, it is not a sleeve, plus you mention nothing about loosing coolant, which a sleeve would cause.
E-mail me your tele number and I'll call you tomorrow.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:01 PM
Overlanding

THX mike...I'll do that. And you're right, no loss of coolant that I can tell in the month of ownership. Although I have not really measured the resevoir, If it dropped, we're talking minimal, less than an inch. Also, no abnormal exhaust smoke. Unfortunately the car is at the dealer now, so i can't check anything till I pick it up tomm. night.