Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery drain issue!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 10:32 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Battery drain issue!

I’ve read a few threads about battery drain issues, and can’t find anything that’s a physical fix... basically my battery was being stable for about 3 months after replacing it, and one day I was washin my DII and it wouldn’t start after washing it. I know it wasn’t the battery, because I tested it and charged it multiple times, so I went thru the fuses, and unplugged some until the battery stopped draining, turns out the one that was for just the front A/C and heating system was the one draining the battery. Well with it being Colorado in the winter I NEED the heater and if I plug it back it, boom it drains, need help and need to find a fix ASAP!

Old 12-23-2018, 01:24 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 146 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Blanco.se7
I’ve read a few threads about battery drain issues, and can’t find anything that’s a physical fix... basically my battery was being stable for about 3 months after replacing it, and one day I was washin my DII and it wouldn’t start after washing it. I know it wasn’t the battery, because I tested it and charged it multiple times, so I went thru the fuses, and unplugged some until the battery stopped draining, turns out the one that was for just the front A/C and heating system was the one draining the battery. Well with it being Colorado in the winter I NEED the heater and if I plug it back it, boom it drains, need help and need to find a fix ASAP!
Honestly the least frustrating route is to keep it on a trickle charger. Only fix that I’ve ever read.

Old 12-24-2018, 02:22 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Frank4

Honestly the least frustrating route is to keep it on a trickle charger. Only fix that I’ve ever read.
hm, it’s frustrating because I can’t leave it on a trickle at school 😂

Old 12-24-2018, 06:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

If the heater circuit is draining the battery, maybe the blower motor resistor is faulty? Worth a look.

Old 12-28-2018, 06:38 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a persistent drain that was proving impossible to find. After lots of headaches and failed attempts at a true fix, I finally bit the bullet and bought a Battery Brain ( https://www.batterybrain.eu/our-products/ ). Should have done it after the first failed attempt. Easy to install, easy to use, and hasn't failed me yet. I haven't forgotten to manually disconnect when I leave so I haven't personally tested the auto-disconnect. Living in Wyoming with cold 8 month winters makes it easier to justify. I know my battery will start in the morning, no matter how long since I've last driven! Only downsides are resetting the clock/ect, and having the security system disabled when the car is off, but a thief could not steal the car without removing the brain and reconnecting the battery normally, as well as enter the security code when (if!) they finally get it reconnected. So in my mind I just traded my alarm system for a safer hard disconnect (when was the last time you called the cops when you heard a car alarm?). The final downside, you have to know and enter your code every time you reconnect the battery.

That said, having used it for ~8 months now, the added steps are just part of my routine and i barely notice them. All my missing stress of an electrical drain, however, is definitely noticed!

Last edited by akapeller; 12-28-2018 at 06:44 PM.
Old 12-28-2018, 08:02 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by akapeller
I had a persistent drain that was proving impossible to find. After lots of headaches and failed attempts at a true fix, I finally bit the bullet and bought a Battery Brain ( https://www.batterybrain.eu/our-products/ ). Should have done it after the first failed attempt. Easy to install, easy to use, and hasn't failed me yet. I haven't forgotten to manually disconnect when I leave so I haven't personally tested the auto-disconnect. Living in Wyoming with cold 8 month winters makes it easier to justify. I know my battery will start in the morning, no matter how long since I've last driven! Only downsides are resetting the clock/ect, and having the security system disabled when the car is off, but a thief could not steal the car without removing the brain and reconnecting the battery normally, as well as enter the security code when (if!) they finally get it reconnected. So in my mind I just traded my alarm system for a safer hard disconnect (when was the last time you called the cops when you heard a car alarm?). The final downside, you have to know and enter your code every time you reconnect the battery.

That said, having used it for ~8 months now, the added steps are just part of my routine and i barely notice them. All my missing stress of an electrical drain, however, is definitely noticed!
appreciate the input! How long have you been able to park it in lots before it drains? (I have school so I need it to last 8hours)

Old 12-28-2018, 08:02 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by FlyingZebra34
If the heater circuit is draining the battery, maybe the blower motor resistor is faulty? Worth a look.
how would I check this?

Old 12-29-2018, 08:06 AM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Maybe find a used A/C Control ECU fornthe dash from a breaker? Also, if you google Land Rover Discovery II A/C heater control Test or look in the Rave the system has a self diagnosis function. It may tell you.

Old 12-30-2018, 12:00 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since it's a battery disconnect your battery should last about as long as it would in storage (about 2-3% discharge per month). I live in a small town and go weeks without driving it, even in the dead of winter. If your battery isn't shot than 8 hours shouldn't be any problem at all. If you decide to get one let me know and I'll send you a picture of my set up. If your positive battery lead is as short as mine it's a bit of a puzzle to get it connected.