Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Life

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 01:34 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Life

Anybody have any idea how much battery power is drawn when a Disco II is parked and not being used?

I've gone about 8-10 days since I drove it last and my battery is currently dead. The battery is only about 6-8 months old too.

Thanks.

Old 01-15-2008, 01:53 PM
Mudding
Default RE: Battery Life

You have a short circuit somewheres. Have you any aftermarked electronics installed? If so, try removing the fuse of that particular device. If your battery stops draining, then you've found your problem... poor man's style. May I ask why your battery was replaced 6-8mos ago in the first place?

As far as your battery goes, take the battery out and charge it. Get out your voltmeter. A fully charged battery should read 12.6v.Try to remember that your alternator isdesigned to maintain a battery's charge, not to recharge adead battery. I'd hate you see you wreck your alternatordealing with this problem.

Old 01-15-2008, 02:37 PM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One thing I have heard is that the CD changerstill will have a draw withthe keyoff if that is the last thing used.

When I turn mine offI make sure that I use the radio last.

But you could have a bad battery.
Take it back and have it load tested.

Old 01-15-2008, 02:39 PM
Mudding

Actually, do you have an ammeter handy? If so, remove the positive (+) battery cable from the battery terminal. Connect the ammeter in series between the positive battery terminal and teh positive battery cable. This test will tell you exactly how much drain you have on your battery. Compare your numbers with others on the forum, hopefully some guys respond with their answers.

What you can do if you find that you have an abnormally high amount of draw, is leave your ammeter attached while removing and replacingfuses one by one. If when you remove a particular fuse the amount of draw reduces to a normal level, you have then found the circuit which contains your problem.

EDIT: Make absolutely sure your battery is good. Like Landzu said, take her down to the local auto parts haus and have her checked out.

Old 01-15-2008, 02:44 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks for the input.

I replaced the battery 6-8 months ago because it was simply too old... it was time.

It's a Die Hard... so I'll head over to Sears to get it checked.

Old 01-15-2008, 05:47 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Have Sears do a battery and alternator draw terst and get back to us.

Old 01-15-2008, 06:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I was in Hawaii for 10 days over Christmas and came home to a dead battery. It's a DieHard from Sears I believe. I don't use the cd changer. The only thing different is that I had a Y adapter plugged into the outlet by the shifter, but both my iPod and GPS were with me on the trip. Now they are in the pocket of some a$$hole. Anyways, I'll try to have it looked at this weekend too.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:29 PM
Three Wheeling

I'll take it to Sears as soon as I get my vehicle back and report back to you all. It's currently getting a new door from a hit and run accident on New Years Eve.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:40 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Remember that the clock is on all the time. Although it draws a small amount of amps, it is still drawing amps.
And depending on the ambiant temp and how long it was running before you parked it. For example, if you started it and moved it from the driveway to the garage and then shut it back off, the battery wasnt full to begin with.