Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 07:56 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

19.5v with the engine running? If so, it's over charging and most likely reason is a bad alternator. If you have a lot of cable corrosion that would be another indicator of over charging.
If the engine is not running then your meter is bad because 12v car battery fully charged can only be 12.7v (1.265v per cell).

Old 06-05-2013, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Agree on the high volts. Anything close or above 14.5 is way out of spec. Higher voltages, like 17-19 are quite capable of wiping out the radio, ECU, tranny ECU, and other modules in the truck. Plus overcharging the battery and swelling it.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:18 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

I like these a lot. You need a trailer, but it never goes dead. Just don't short the terminals, or POOF!

No, seriously, I had an Interstate in my Jaguar, and it didn't seem any better than the WalMart Batteries I normally buy. Also, when it went bad, I really had a hard time getting Interstate to replace it. They kept telling me it was fine because their meter said it was when I'd go in there. But, randomly, it would be completely dead. It was an internal cell issue, but because it didn't happen when they were hooked to it, they didn't want to help.

I've been buying Walmart Batteries for a while now, and anytime I've got trouble, I take it in and swap it out no problem. They are definitely the King of Easy Returns. Good Price, Good Service, Good CCA. The CCA's are supposed to be over 850 on this one. Walmart does not spec it, but I read a post where a tech said he checked it manually.
EverStart Maxx 24FN Automotive Battery: Automotive : Walmart.com

Old 06-05-2013, 11:01 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I have Autozone's Duralast batteries in my company truck, my Discovery and my boat. I have used them for years with great results. My understanding is that they are made by the same company that makes DieHard. Good price and available anywhere. I also have a Walmart battery in a vehicle that I only use in the summer. It sits all winter unused then starts the truck right up in the spring. I have had problems with Interstate batteries so I really don't see that they are worth spending any extra on.

One thing I really have to question is the value of Optimas in these trucks. They are crazy expensive and I have seen them fail just like any other battery. As for toughness, I have a standard deep-cycle Duralast in my boat along with another standard type battery and they have both been working fine for 6+ years in off-shore use. Unless you are racing across the desert, I doubt your batteries are experiencing the amount of shock and abuse that these things undergo.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:31 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

"One thing I really have to question is the value of Optimas in these trucks" they have gone down hill the last couple years. ODYSSEY Battery's as great but pricey also.

Old 06-05-2013, 12:00 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by 04duxlr
I have Autozone's Duralast batteries in my company truck, my Discovery and my boat. I have used them for years with great results. My understanding is that they are made by the same company that makes DieHard.
Depends on the Diehard line. Regular Diehards are made by Johnson Controls, Diehard Gold are made by East Penn, Diehard Platinum are made by EnerSys (rebadged Odysseys).

Old 06-05-2013, 12:26 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

EDIT: Just found the Walmart Specs.
Walmart.com - Battery Center

The EverStart MAXX 24FN is a 700 CCA or 850 CA battery (Although some people are claiming the battery states 750 CCA on the lable). The F states the terminals are reversed, and the N states it's a Northern Climate Battery, or in otherwords, COLD Climate. The MAXX 24S is Southern (warm) Climate battery.

PowerFrameŽ Technology

PowerFrame is a patented manufacturing process for the positive grid. The positive grid is what provides the energy to start your car. It's a critical component of your battery - start after start. The most common end-of-life failure mode of automotive batteries is corrosion of the positive grids.

3 Year FREE replacement and additional 2 years pro-rated.

Who makes it? Quote:
Walmart's quality automotive batteries are supplied by Johnson Controls, the world's largest lead-acid battery manufacturer.

PRICE: $85

Old 06-05-2013, 12:54 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Dad needed new batteries for the Caterpillar (Great Britan's other manufacturer of quality 4 wheel drive equipment.) When we picked up the Group 31 batteries at Advance Auto ($132 list, $99 with my then commercial account) I thought "Whoa, I think one of those will fit in the Disco." 950 CCA, 195 minutes of reserve. I did a quick tape measure check, and I believe it will fit, but have not yet bought one. 60 pound battery! If they work, it's my plan when needed.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:25 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Walmart.
$110 in Broomfield CO Walmart

Old 06-05-2013, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by NickAdams
Dad needed new batteries for the Caterpillar (Great Britan's other manufacturer of quality 4 wheel drive equipment.) When we picked up the Group 31 batteries at Advance Auto ($132 list, $99 with my then commercial account) I thought "Whoa, I think one of those will fit in the Disco." 950 CCA, 195 minutes of reserve. I did a quick tape measure check, and I believe it will fit, but have not yet bought one. 60 pound battery! If they work, it's my plan when needed.

I believe that group 31 is what the Td5 D2 has in it, so it should fit. I wish I would have known that when I bought my last battery.

Quick Reply: Battery Recommendation?