Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery will not charge

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 09:30 PM
Drifting
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Electrical PDF

Here's a link to Electrical diagram... I'm rusty at reading schematics so I figured I'd post it up for you to look at as well.
http://www.landy.ee/manuals/electricity/Disco_Elec.Troubleshooting%20Manual%20-%20LRL0077ENG%20(1997).pdf
I'd recommend downloading it to your computer and opening with adobe reader. You can hit Ctl + F to find key words and go to a diagram with that word on the page. If you have a mouse wheel... you can click the wheel and hold to move around. You'll have to zoom to read most of it... hold Ctl and mouse wheel to zoom... or Ctl + for in and Ctl - for out.

Check resistance from the alternator enclosure to the chassis... or to negative battery post. You should get some resistance but it shouldn't be infinite. I know... it really is a stretch as it is grounded through the mounting bolts... but it's an easy test.

I'll keep looking but I am very rusty... much like most rovers... Good Luck.

Clay

Last edited by Clay99d2; 08-28-2016 at 09:54 PM. Reason: To provide correct link to Electrical Troubleshooting manual for a D1 and not a D2
Old 08-29-2016, 07:46 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Clay99d2
Here's a link to Electrical diagram... I'm rusty at reading schematics so I figured I'd post it up for you to look at as well.
http://www.landy.ee/manuals/electricity/Disco_Elec.Troubleshooting%20Manual%20-%20LRL0077ENG%20(1997).pdf
I'd recommend downloading it to your computer and opening with adobe reader. You can hit Ctl + F to find key words and go to a diagram with that word on the page. If you have a mouse wheel... you can click the wheel and hold to move around. You'll have to zoom to read most of it... hold Ctl and mouse wheel to zoom... or Ctl + for in and Ctl - for out.

Check resistance from the alternator enclosure to the chassis... or to negative battery post. You should get some resistance but it shouldn't be infinite. I know... it really is a stretch as it is grounded through the mounting bolts... but it's an easy test.

I'll keep looking but I am very rusty... much like most rovers... Good Luck.

Clay
Thanks Clay99d2. The resistance from the alternator to the negative battery ground (disconnected) is not too high (I think). A picture is attached. Thanks also for the electrical manual! Mine is a Series 1, 1997. Will there be much difference? Thanks again and please let me know your additional ideas. I'm thinking a relay, but don't know which ones to start testing by swapping out.

Attached Thumbnails Battery will not charge-img_2912.jpg  
Old 09-01-2016, 06:47 AM
Overlanding

Any additional ideas on what the problem could be? Any clues on which relay(s) may be involved with the progressive lack of charging? Thanks in advance!

Old 09-01-2016, 08:05 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

I recently had charging issues my self and it turned out to be the positive wire that connects the alternator to the eng fuse box. You can try reading out that wire and see if its the culprit.

Old 09-01-2016, 08:17 AM
TReK
Received 762 Likes on 630 Posts

I would go back to the 150A mega fuse (FL1). I've burned that out a couple of times for various reasons, and each time it has exhibited different symptoms. However, the only consistent symptom was that the battery didn't charge.
A new fuse is only about four dollars. Get a couple of them in case there's a short that caused it to blow.

Old 09-01-2016, 08:44 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Daedrix
I recently had charging issues my self and it turned out to be the positive wire that connects the alternator to the eng fuse box. You can try reading out that wire and see if its the culprit.
Thanks Daedix. I disconnected the battery completely and hooked an ohm meter between the large wire at the alternator and the main fuse connection. i tied them both along with the positive battery terminal. All had almost no resistance to the wire at the alternator.

Attached Thumbnails Battery will not charge-img_2915.jpg  
Old 09-02-2016, 07:16 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by mollusc
I would go back to the 150A mega fuse (FL1). I've burned that out a couple of times for various reasons, and each time it has exhibited different symptoms. However, the only consistent symptom was that the battery didn't charge.
A new fuse is only about four dollars. Get a couple of them in case there's a short that caused it to blow.
Thanks mollusk,

i tested the fuse and there is no resistance between the two sides. Please see the picture. Please keep the ideas coming.

Attached Thumbnails Battery will not charge-img_2916.jpg  
Old 09-22-2020, 09:04 PM
8th Gear
Thumbs up Water in cabin

Originally Posted by ldaddy
Thanks! I have checked all the ground points a couple of times. No joy.... I have also tried connecting a wire directly between be alternater mounting point and the negative battery post. The Disco can sit for several weeks without the battery going low so the battery or "leakage" doesn't seem to be the problem. The issue is no charging. The alternator has been rebuilt and another alternator was installed previously. Both tested fine on the bench.

There is a clicking sound from the passenger footwell. It is coming from the box attached to the right side of what seems to be the ECU. It is pictured below.

Please provide any other ideas on what I can check. Thanks!!
I would check under the floor mats for moisture, if you have a sun roof THOSE hoses come loose and sometimes are not routed properly. That water entering will corrode connections, contact cleaner and elbow grease your going to have to pull your headliner down a bit or maybe out if you can not get tubes in place. Dry out your vehicle, disconnect any and all grounds to chassis/engine/frame clean and reconnect (check they are tight) . Wiggle connections with parking lights on and watch (or have helper watch) for changes in brightness. Use jumper cable to attach negative of battery to FRAME see if problem still exists. This WILL save many of us from electrical issues. WD 40 WD stands for water displacement and it works well.

Old 09-23-2020, 06:33 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 848 Likes on 633 Posts

Hey Art. Welcome to the forum.
Hopefully ldaddy figured out his charging problem from 2016. lol

Old 03-14-2022, 02:23 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ldaddy
Thanks mollusk,

i tested the fuse and there is no resistance between the two sides. Please see the picture. Please keep the ideas coming.
hi idaddy
Did you manage to fix your charging problem from 2016 ? I'm having the same problem now so if you did find a fix could you let me know please thanks