Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

becoming a LR owner

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 10:00 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: becoming a LR owner

ORIGINAL: kaz

As to ABS question, it goes away, but it takes more time then it should. I just noticed that is still on after couple of minutes of ideling, but was of when driving. Will deal with that if I buy this very trk.
THE ABS LIGHT ("Anti-Lock") as I understand it, should only go off with forward movement of the truck above 5 mph. Once moving the first time from an ignition start up, the light should stay off. Procedure repeated every time you start up the truck with the key.

Old 05-09-2008, 02:15 PM
kaz
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm on electronic repairs forums and I always promote 'do due diligence' first before asking for help, but here I'm buying a car, green as a cucumber and amount of new info overwhelms me a bit, . So please have me exused for asking silly questions for some time.
Firstly there is discrepancy between the asnwers I got about ABS light: should it go off without moving a trk or not?
After driving a few trks I have an impression that all warrning lights go off after a few seconds (with differen delays) without driving..
Second question: my understanding about OBD II system is, that it was introduced in 1996, what will I use then to read/erase the error codes on Disco '95?, is the reader/scanner OBD II CAN of any use?. I'm thinking about buying one (there are other newer cars in the family).
Thanks

Old 05-09-2008, 02:50 PM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: kaz

I'm on electronic repairs forums and I always promote 'do due diligence' first before asking for help, but here I'm buying a car, green as a cucumber and amount of new info overwhelms me a bit, . So please have me exused for asking silly questions for some time.
Firstly there is discrepancy between the asnwers I got about ABS light: should it go off without moving a trk or not?
After driving a few trks I have an impression that all warrning lights go off after a few seconds (with differen delays) without driving..
Second question: my understanding about OBD II system is, that it was introduced in 1996, what will I use then to read/erase the error codes on Disco '95?, is the reader/scanner OBD II CAN of any use?. I'm thinking about buying one (there are other newer cars in the family).
Thanks
The ABS light goes off at 10mph it will stay on untill that time.
1996 was the first year of OBD II, the 95 and older have a box under a seat that blinks to tell you the codes. I have no idea what the blinking of the box lets you know what but the codes.
The OBDII CAN will work on all OBD II systems from 96 to 08,
the OBDII CAN systems came in use in 2004.