Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Been working on my Disco...and now another problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 06:18 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The y-pipe bolts on the dr side manifold are tight, couldn't reach the pass side. The bolts on the connector to the tailpipe were a little loose, not flopping loose but not tight either. I would think if that was causing a noise it would be more of a tick.

I didn't test drive it...that will have to wait until tomorrow.

Old 04-06-2010, 01:30 PM
Drifting

The noise seems to be getting worse. It now sounds a bit more like a metalic rattle.

I checked codes and there are none as of last night.

Today I took it for a 30 mile ride. It rattled all the way there and back. Once I got back into town it started something new...

I was accelerating up a slight incline and the RPM's dropped about 500 RPM, then picked right back up. This happened twice in a couple mile stretch of road.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:35 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cool

Jay,
On my 97, you could hold your hand by the y-pipe to exhaust manifold area and feel the pressure hitting your hand from the exhaust leak with it running.

My advice with one that old (same boat I was in), be perpared to change all the studs (6) at the y pipe, also get gaskets for both sides. Also buy the exhaust manifold gaskets and if your bolt heads are not pristine, buy new manifiold mounting bolts. When I did mine, they told me most people do NOT use the original style locking devices because they are a PITA, use lockwashers instead.

Most likely some of the studs will break at the y-pipe. If that happens, unbolt the exhaust manifold and remove it. It is much easier to get the broken studs out with the manifold removed and on a workbench then trying to do it on the vehicle.

There is also a real simple way to gain improved access to the y-pipe nuts. I removed the front wheel and sat in the wheel well area using a set of aviation snips, I cut the inner fender in such a way as to fold it out of the way to allow access. See Pics. You can carefully bend the fender out of the way, upon completion bend it back.

If you prefer to maintain the "***-Built Configuration" of your classic piece of English Engineering, then by all means, don't you dare cut it up like that. If you want to gain vastly improved access for repairs, have at it.

Also remove the Windsheild wiper reservoir for even better access, especially to the manifold bolts. Be creative.

Redneck Engineering.

Attached Thumbnails Been working on my Disco...and now another problem-disco-april-2-2010-032.jpg   Been working on my Disco...and now another problem-disco-april-2-2010-033.jpg   Been working on my Disco...and now another problem-disco-april-2-2010-037.jpg   Been working on my Disco...and now another problem-disco-april-2-2010-039.jpg  
Old 04-07-2010, 05:34 PM
Drifting

Thanks Dan. I was looking at that splash shield the other night when I was tightening /checking the bolts. Not sure I want to cut it though...

I have ran almost a 1/4 tank out of it. I think I'm going to drain it and refill with premium...

Old 04-07-2010, 06:28 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Jay,

You are welcome to come take alook at mine, I may try to find some heavy duty mudflap type material or something to do an inproved liner upon completion.

What gave me the idea was a breakdown we experienced several years ago while traveling from Florida to Pittsburgh to visit wife's family. We were in a Pontiac Grand Am that was only 2 or 3 years old but of course was out of warranty. It quit on the interstate in South Ga late on Friday night . We got it towed in by a local garage, Hollywood's Midnight Oil Garage was the name of the place. Hollywood, the owner was a retired Air Force Master Sargeant that had opened the garage prior to retiring.
His speciality was working late nights and weekends. Same as when he was on active duty.

He had us check into a local hotel he had a deal with, he said relax by the pool and enjoy ourselves, he had this no problem. The Pontiac dealer claimed the engine had to be pulled for the repair at a hefty price. Hollywood pulled the front tire, snatched the wheel liner out and made the repair sitting in the wheel well with the engine still mounted. Everything completely accessable to him.

We were relaxing by the pool that Saturday afternoon when he came driving up, engine purring, ready to resume our trip at a fraction of the repair cost at the dealers. All done that day.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:50 PM
Drifting

It is not the y-pipe bolts. I could only see two on the passenger side, one was a little loose. I tightened and took it for a ride...nothing changed.

Thanks Dan, I'd love to come up but I'm a little affraid to drive it that far. I'm just waiting for a valve to let loose..

Last edited by Jay5oh; 04-07-2010 at 06:54 PM.