Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.

Belt tensioner and idler pulleys

Old 12-15-2014, 06:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Belt tensioner and idler pulleys

Hello, I've got an 04 with 85k on the clock. For preventive maintenance, should I go ahead and replace the belt tensioner and the two pulleys or should I wait till they start chirping? I however, did hear some kind of cheroot get sound right after a cold start. It went away within thirty seconds though. thank you all in advance.any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Old 12-15-2014, 07:04 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Discovery steve View Post
Hello, I've got an 04 with 85k on the clock. For preventive maintenance, should I go ahead and replace the belt tensioner and the two pulleys or should I wait till they start chirping? I however, did hear some kind of cheroot get sound right after a cold start. It went away within thirty seconds though. thank you all in advance.any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Pull off your belt and inspect it for cracking and then spin your pulleys and see if they spin smoothly and freely while not making a pile of noise . If they do then don't bother wasting money.

Old 12-17-2014, 11:07 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Pulleys

Honestly, those pulleys will go someday. I'm not sure about the tensioner, but I've replaced both pulleys because they were looking like crap and falling apart (after more than 120,000 miles on the machine). I've also had one really bad looking pulley blowup while under some strain off road. It's not a hard field fix, provided you keep a fan clutch tool and a serpentine belt tool in the Rover.

So my two cents is at least buy them, and then you'll have them when they go. Remember that these pulleys run your water pump as well, and you don't want to risk overheating while you try to limp home/to a garage. (Head gasket job, anyone?)

Old 12-18-2014, 12:04 AM
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

You might order the spares and have them ready.
I would just replace the belt for now.
Keep an eye on the alternator too.
The bearings can go out on those Denso alternators.