Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Upgrade Path?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 03:14 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Upgrade Path?

So my end goal is to make my truck look kinda like these guys:
Rover Example Trucks - Album on Imgur

I have a 2003, stock except for with what I believe is a heavy duty OME lift. Parts are:
Front Shock: OME Nitrocharger 60024
Rear Shock: OME 60025

Front Spring: OME779 - Extra Heavy Duty
Rear Spring: OME762 - Heavy Duty

My next purchase is going to be a 2004 CDL from a local junkyard (~$300). What I'd like to figure out is what order I should buy all the next items so that eventually I can run 33's and maybe eventually 35's.

What I have is the following:

ARB Lockers w/4.10 gears - ($3096.00) - Lucky8 Llc. - Take the road less traveled...

ARB Air Compressor - ($276.00) - https://www.expeditionexchange.com/c...cat=265&page=1

Ashcroft HD axles - ($1,520.00) - Lucky8 Llc. - Take the road less traveled...

1" Spring Spacers - ($130.00) - Lucky8 Llc. - Take the road less traveled...

OK Offroad Wheels - ($559.00) - OKoffroad.com Stuff - Xtreme Duty Land Rover Wheels

BF Goodrich KO2 285/75R16 (32.9") - ($989.25) - BF Goodrich Tires - LT285/75R16, All-Terrain T/A KO2 | 4WheelParts.com

Flexi Fender Flares - ($321.00) - Lucky8 Llc. - Take the road less traveled...

I also plan on buying a welder (hobart) and crafting my own bumpers and rock sliders, maybe some skid and diff guards as well.

As far as what I am planning on doing with my truck, it is mostly for camping off forest service roads here in Colorado. A little light wheeling, I probably won't try anything that has a Trail Damage rating over 5. I know this stuff might seem overkill for what I plan on doing, but I just want the truck to look a little ridiculous and generally just never get stuck.

Is there anything I'm missing to run 33's? What order would you install these upgrades? Is there anything that absolutely must be done before something else or at the same time? Anything unnecessary?

Old 02-27-2016, 03:31 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

To be honest, I'd do Detroit lockers instead of ARB based on reliability according to people I've talked to. Here would be my order:

Spacers

Tires with either wider offset rims or 1.5-2" BORA wheel spacers if you'd prefer to keep stock rims. Just a matter of preference. L8 has the rims too, and may give a discount on that much stuff together. I don't want to say for sure, but work shooting Erik a message or giving them a call Monday.

Axles

Lockers and gears

Flares

Also, those Hobart welders are nice, but you can get a plenty suitable welder for a lot less if you wanted. I've got a Lotos Mig 140 I got from Amazon. I think they're around $380 unless they went up again. I've been through a couple spools of Flux and love it. Comes with a mask and wire brush as well as a few different tip sizes and everything you need to run gas for Mig. I'm relatively sure its the exact same welder as the Hobart. I know it uses the sake internals as some reputable brand.

Last edited by Alex_M; 02-27-2016 at 03:40 PM.
Old 02-27-2016, 07:16 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

I would have to agree with those tires you will need to upgrade the diffs it a matter of choice but I would choose mechanical locker.

Originally Posted by Alex_M
To be honest, I'd do Detroit lockers instead of ARB based on reliability according to people I've talked to. Here would be my order:

Spacers

Tires with either wider offset rims or 1.5-2" BORA wheel spacers if you'd prefer to keep stock rims. Just a matter of preference. L8 has the rims too, and may give a discount on that much stuff together. I don't want to say for sure, but work shooting Erik a message or giving them a call Monday.

Axles

Lockers and gears

Flares

Also, those Hobart welders are nice, but you can get a plenty suitable welder for a lot less if you wanted. I've got a Lotos Mig 140 I got from Amazon. I think they're around $380 unless they went up again. I've been through a couple spools of Flux and love it. Comes with a mask and wire brush as well as a few different tip sizes and everything you need to run gas for Mig. I'm relatively sure its the exact same welder as the Hobart. I know it uses the sake internals as some reputable brand.