Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Better radiator... options?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 09:28 AM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My radiator is fine, my truck does not run hot. I just rebuilt the engine extensively and was merely looking at upgrade options to protect my investment- I intend to keep this truck a LONG time. I do not have Dexcool in the system, I run Toyota Pink. I have performed the inline t-stat mod and typically see temps in the low-mid 180 range. I did notice the other day that my aux fan is blowing the under-hood 40A fuse so if I idle extensively in stop and go traffic (especially with the AC on) the temps will creep up above 200*. I will address that issue in the coming week, I was just curious about options for a radiator that was BETTER than OEM as mine is original and nearly 10 years old now.

Old 12-08-2013, 09:30 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by dr. mordo
I've been thinking of wiring my electric fan to be switchable so I can run it constantly during the summer. It seems like the truck struggles a lot more to stay cool when ambient temps get over 90, and I figure more airflow can only help.
I've thought of this as well, or at least finding a way to set it up to cut on at 190 or 195 instead of 210...

Old 12-08-2013, 09:45 AM
Winching

Also, I've been doing a great deal of research on coolants and blended coolants lately and read that Distilled water is actually NOT the best water to use or dilute with. Due to the distillation process leaving water molecules electrochemically imbalanced- meaning that the water can actually strip electrons from metals in the cooling system and cause damage as it attempts to re-balance itself.

Apparently, a much simpler reverse-osmosis method of purified drinking water is supposed to be more suitable- though even the research I found only cited it as making a difference if you were running a straight-water cooling system. It still says you can use distilled water in 50/50 dilutions.

I'm no chemist, and I know you can't believe everything you read on the internet- just throwing this out there for others to consider and weigh-in on! Besides, these people aren't selling water, just additives (like Water Wetter, basically). That being the case, there's no reason for this part of their research to be skewed one way or another.

Q. Should I use distilled water as coolant?

A. Yes. But only in a 50/50 mix. Distilled water should not be used as straight water coolant, because it can cause damage to system metals. The reason has to do with how distilled water is created.

During the distillation process, water is vaporized into its gaseous phase, so all impurities are left behind. These impurities include a number of minerals, including calcium and magnesium, the two components of hardness. The water is then condensed back into its liquid phase, so the resulting liquid is pure water. In fact, some of the purest water on earth. The problem is that distillation strips impurities from water, resulting in water molecules that are electrochemically imbalanced. So distilled water will actually strip electrons from the metals in a cooling system as it attempts to rebalance itself electrochemically. This can result in damage to metals in a cooling system.

Using distilled water in combination with 50% antifreeze effectively cuts the amount of distilled water in half. By compounding with glycol, it will not cause damage to metals in a cooling system. For this reason, it is safe to use distilled water in a 50/50 mix.

Q. What type of water is best to use as straight water coolant?

A. Reverse osmosis (RO) water. Rather than stripping impurities from water, RO filters them through a membrane. The resulting water is electrochemically stable, and not harmful to metals in a cooling system. RO water is every bit as pure as distilled water, but without the risk of electrochemical stripping of electrons from system metals.

Q. Where can I find reverse osmosis (RO) water?

A. At the local supermarket. Look for DRINKING WATER, which is available in gallon bottles. But do not confuse it with SPRING WATER, which is often high in mineral content. We have performed extensive testing of major brands and generic brands of bottled drinking water, and found that it is almost always composed of RO water.

Q. What are the benefits of using purified water, such as distilled or RO?

A. It lacks the impurities of tap water. Without impurities, its ability to function as an electrolyte is greatly diminished, thereby minimizing damage from electrolysis. It contains no hardness, meaning it will not form scales and deposits that can cause overheating. It does not contain other damaging contaminants, such as chloride or sulfate. And importantly, it enhances the overall performance of No-Rosion, allowing it to more effectively function and provide the full range of benefits that it has been engineered to provide.

Source here.

Old 12-08-2013, 03:01 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by dr. mordo
Man, you have some crazy photos in there.

What do you do with the ECR-1?
I think Disco_Fever is as sad as me if they are some of his 'toys'. My OH says I'm a saddo 'cos I'm always researching something or playing with something technical. I'm gonna play golf on Thursday as the weather looks good, around 13C and sunny.

The only reason I don't like electrical cooling fans is if they fail there's nothing much you can do whereas a viscous fan can be locked up and still work. Electrical fans are great for motorsport but iffy if your somewhere in the outback or desert and no-one else around.

Old 12-08-2013, 03:16 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco_Fever
Also, I've been doing a great deal of research on coolants and blended coolants lately and read that Distilled water is actually NOT the best water to use or dilute with. Due to the distillation process leaving water molecules electrochemically imbalanced- meaning that the water can actually strip electrons from metals in the cooling system and cause damage as it attempts to re-balance itself.

Apparently, a much simpler reverse-osmosis method of purified drinking water is supposed to be more suitable- though even the research I found only cited it as making a difference if you were running a straight-water cooling system. It still says you can use distilled water in 50/50 dilutions.

I'm no chemist, and I know you can't believe everything you read on the internet- just throwing this out there for others to consider and weigh-in on! Besides, these people aren't selling water, just additives (like Water Wetter, basically). That being the case, there's no reason for this part of their research to be skewed one way or another.

Q. Should I use distilled water as coolant?

A. Yes. But only in a 50/50 mix. Distilled water should not be used as straight water coolant, because it can cause damage to system metals. The reason has to do with how distilled water is created.

During the distillation process, water is vaporized into its gaseous phase, so all impurities are left behind. These impurities include a number of minerals, including calcium and magnesium, the two components of hardness. The water is then condensed back into its liquid phase, so the resulting liquid is pure water. In fact, some of the purest water on earth. The problem is that distillation strips impurities from water, resulting in water molecules that are electrochemically imbalanced. So distilled water will actually strip electrons from the metals in a cooling system as it attempts to rebalance itself electrochemically. This can result in damage to metals in a cooling system.

Using distilled water in combination with 50% antifreeze effectively cuts the amount of distilled water in half. By compounding with glycol, it will not cause damage to metals in a cooling system. For this reason, it is safe to use distilled water in a 50/50 mix.

Q. What type of water is best to use as straight water coolant?

A. Reverse osmosis (RO) water. Rather than stripping impurities from water, RO filters them through a membrane. The resulting water is electrochemically stable, and not harmful to metals in a cooling system. RO water is every bit as pure as distilled water, but without the risk of electrochemical stripping of electrons from system metals.

Q. Where can I find reverse osmosis (RO) water?

A. At the local supermarket. Look for DRINKING WATER, which is available in gallon bottles. But do not confuse it with SPRING WATER, which is often high in mineral content. We have performed extensive testing of major brands and generic brands of bottled drinking water, and found that it is almost always composed of RO water.

Q. What are the benefits of using purified water, such as distilled or RO?

A. It lacks the impurities of tap water. Without impurities, its ability to function as an electrolyte is greatly diminished, thereby minimizing damage from electrolysis. It contains no hardness, meaning it will not form scales and deposits that can cause overheating. It does not contain other damaging contaminants, such as chloride or sulfate. And importantly, it enhances the overall performance of No-Rosion, allowing it to more effectively function and provide the full range of benefits that it has been engineered to provide.

Source here.
RO water is ideal if you can source it and at a reasonable price. In fact better than distilled water as many aggressive chemicals are removed. I never use anything but tap water with 50/50 anti-freeze with an inhibitor which covers the european temperature spectrum down to minus 15C and have never suffered any effects to date. But it depends on your water and the regularity you change the coolant.

I have used a domestic central heating 'all metals' flushing liquid like Sentinel which cleans out the crud from the system but you need to flush it out after a few hours.