Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blinking M and S and D on dash

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 06:38 PM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Blinking M and S and D on dash

Hello,

I went to start my Disco this morning and it wouldn't start, I boosted it with my car and now I have a blinking M and S and D on the dash. The M being the manual setting on in 4-low, the S being the sport setting in high, and the D being the indicator stating the vehicle is in D near the odometer. Also if I but the shifter in any of the low gear positions the flashing D remains, N, R, and P are normal.

I've read in the owner's manual this may be an error or an electrical fault to the automatic gearbox (I think). I drove the truck over to my mechanic's place and have left it there until, hoping someone might have some insights.

Possibly relevant background information:

Over the past few months I've needed a boost every once in a while. They tested my battery and it failed and I now have a new battery. Also, for the past year of having the truck I have not had daytime running lights, however I have a receipt from a previous owner saying the module was installed for import to Canada.

I required a boost another couple times with the new battery, however the battery always charges right up again so we felt it was not the alternator and the new battery passed testing.

They checked the truck and found there was a high power draw when it was off. They thought it might have been tracked down to the ABS and/or TC computers or related fuses possibly, however the draw disappeared until today, apparently.

Also, once getting the truck back from their search for the draw I've noticed I now have something like daytime running lights, though I think not quite right?

The small lights in the front headlights light up when the vehicle is started (you still have to turn the lights on to get any light in the back), when you shut the truck off the small front lights in the headlights stay on for a few extra seconds, if you open the door soon enough after shutting the truck off you hear the ding ding ding warning sounds like you left the lights on or left the key in the ignition, however it goes away as soon as those front lights go off (just a few seconds).

Thanks again everyone!

Also, thanks for the suggestion on the plugged heater core for my heat problem - it was plugged up and now it's clear and I've got heat

Old 11-30-2010, 06:48 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you actually test the alternator? That is the first place you need to look. If your system voltage drops the transmission ECU will sense an electrical fault and put you into the mechanical limp home mode. Check the alternator (and the battery as it is >1 year old).

Old 11-30-2010, 06:50 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Got ADD and couldn't finish your post, but the flashing M + S lights usually indicates low battery output, once you get close to or below 13A the tranny computer gets hit and you go into "limp mode"

Old 11-30-2010, 07:25 PM
Mudding

Would this result in damage or something (fault code?) that would need to be reset, or would it be as simple as returning the electrical output to the proper level and things going back to normal automatically?

Also, can you tell me more about this "limp" mode?

Last edited by collector87; 11-30-2010 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Additional query
Old 11-30-2010, 07:40 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Take your battery out of the truck, have a 2 hour charges puck on it, get the truck started and go to your local parts store for a free charging system check and let us know what the voltage is.
Once that is done, then deal with what ever else is wrong.

Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Take your battery out of the truck, have a 2 hour charges puck on it, get the truck started and go to your local parts store for a free charging system check and let us know what the voltage is.
Once that is done, then deal with what ever else is wrong.

Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Once you resolve the electrical power issue, and you restart, the system will return to normal.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:08 AM
Mudding

Thanks everybody - alternator needed a new regulator - seems to be all good now, well, I think, haha, it's been good for a few days at least.

Old 11-09-2015, 11:03 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Collector87- How did you replace the alternator regulator? Or did you just buy a new alternator? Mine is doing the same darn thing, so I was curious. I have a multi meter, and would like to know how to do this asap.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks for all you do everyone!