Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BLOCK I.D. To VIN Records, Need Help Please.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 02:48 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BLOCK I.D. To VIN Records, Need Help Please.

Does Land Rover have production records showing what engine block serial number was installed in chassis VIN?
I bought a used motor that was advertised with 43K miles with a Carfax to verify the mileage. When I started disassembling the motor to change seals, head gaskets, etc. I found the motor to be useless without being completely overhauled. The valve covers/rocker assemblies, rods/lifters valley, crank and oil pan are caked with solidified sludge; there is no way this motor has only 43K. I am such a fool.
I have opened a fraud complaint/investigation with VISA but I doubt I will have any luck without the information to prove it.
I need some evidence the motor could not have been related to VIN they claim it came out of.
I know this information must have been recorded at the time of build but I have so far been unable to find the information.
Please help me if you can.
"Engine and Transmission World" is the name of the business that has ripped me off. I am warning all of you good people to stay as far away from these crooks as possible and please warn everyone you know to do the same. I am too trusting and should have done my home work. I got careless and now I am paying the price. I have since found that these jerks have been ripping people off for many years and change their name when their reputation catches up with them.
I am declaring war against these people and I will do all I can to keep others from making the terrible mistake of doing business with them.
Please help me spread this warning.
Unfortunately this was the last straw for me, I have done everything possible to try to keep my son's Disco II on the road. It was already hard enough without being sabotaged. This is now a vendetta.
Any help and information will be more than appreciated, Thank you.

Old 03-23-2011, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001SE7
there is no way this motor has only 43K.
Actually, 40k is plenty of time for an engine to go completely to sludge, if you never change the oil. Maybe they just topped it off.

Old 03-23-2011, 03:14 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As part of Federal Anti-theft laws, every major component on the vehicle is supposed to have the VIN of the vehicle it was originally installed in. Replacement parts do not. Someone here with more experiance might be able to tell you exactly where to look, I would look for a flat spot with a 17 digit number (probably very small letters). The factory can tell which Serial # engine went into which VIN vehicle but don't count on getting that info.

Old 03-23-2011, 03:23 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually the block only has a block stamp, no vin. But a LR dealer can look up your vin and tell you the original block stamp. And be assured 40k+ miles is plenty to completely gunk a motor. I bought one with a bad crank and it was a mess even at 48,000.

Old 03-23-2011, 04:20 PM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is no relationship between the serial number on the engine and the vehicle's VIN. LRNA will have that information in a database somewhere, but I wonder if they will give that out to an end user, I have no idea.