Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Block Pressure testing

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 09:07 AM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Block Pressure testing

Hi, I am wondering if anybody in the northern NJ area has a block pressure testing kit? I'm in the middle of my second headgasket fix: first @ 88k and second @ 120k. I just want to rule out any bigger issues. Also, just had my heads skimmed @ 88k do you think I need to do it again?

Just one interesting thing I noticed upon disassembly. One of the head bolts that I pull out had coolant on the bottom of the threads. This is why I think I should test the block. Has anybody ever noticed this?

Old 12-11-2010, 10:43 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Who did the first head gasket replacement, was it you, did you double check everything while reinstalling the heads, especially proper head bolts sequence and torquing? Were any head bolts even the slight bit loose, did you find a bad spot on the gaskets?
And no, don't just resurface the heads, measure them with a straight edge and feeler gauge from 6 standard positions and only resurface if over .002 out of specs.

Old 12-11-2010, 11:38 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Who did the first head gasket replacement, was it you, did you double check everything while reinstalling the heads, especially proper head bolts sequence and torquing? Were any head bolts even the slight bit loose, did you find a bad spot on the gaskets?
And no, don't just resurface the heads, measure them with a straight edge and feeler gauge from 6 standard positions and only resurface if over .002 out of specs.
Hi Mike, thanks for the quick reply. I did the first head gasket job, it was also my first head job on a Disco. I am very mechanically inclined, but I guess it was possible that I did not torque the bolts properly. I do have a torque wrench and followed the rave to a "t". I also did notice that the bolts seemed easier to remove this time around, but maybe that was becasue I purchased a breaker bar!!The head gasket had two bad spots on the passenger side closest to the exhaust manfold on the two middle cylinders. I did purchased the head gaskets from AB and I've been reading that they seem to be garbage. Do you think I should purchase a pressure test kit or is that not necessary? I was leaking coolant on the side and the back of the block on the passenger side. Also the driver side seems good and no leaks. Thanks for any help provide.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:02 PM
6th Gear

So I went down to a local head machining shop today to talk with the owner that did my heads the first time around. He said that they run the engine for about a week after the head job and then re-torque the head bolts. I was under the impression that this is not needed with strech bolts? Also he said that he will not skim my heads another time. He will only install new heads. Is this correct also? It seems like the more research the more confused I get!!! He did mention that I should not have used AB gaskets instead of OEM.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:26 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by landover
He said that they run the engine for about a week after the head job and then re-torque the head bolts.
Huh?? Interesting considering that the torque procedure on a Disco is 15ft lbs / 90 degrees / 90 degrees. How is he gonna re-torque them?

he said that he will not skim my heads another time. He will only install new heads.
Rave manual lists the spec's on the heads If they're within those specs, they can be shaved. Like DiscoMike said, check them first. If they're warped, then have them shaved.

He did mention that I should not have used AB gaskets instead of OEM.
Nothing wrong with AB head gasket kit. I wouldn't buy OEM. Those are junk.

Eric

Old 12-14-2010, 10:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Ive heard at the Elring brand Head Gaskets are some of the best. Is there a brand name on the AB set? Seems like for their price of $179 for the full gasket kit, they could include the good gaskets.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LAND-...item27b5d89b65

Last edited by bosshogt; 12-15-2010 at 02:45 AM.