Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

blown factory subs...help

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 03:45 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blown factory subs...help

i took out my sub enclousre. my factory subs are blown, the cones have pretty much come off the rim of the speaker. i want to replace with aftermarket speakers, the 6 or 6.5 whatever the size (im at school so i cant measure). i saw someone replaced with some jbl's before. can this be done by soldering the two new speaker wires to the factory connector and just plugging back in. i hear the impeidances are differnt on aftermarket speakers? does anyone know this? if have any links (like crutchfeld or whatever) to what speakers will work please share!

Old 04-23-2007, 11:50 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: blown factory subs...help

I was lookign for a quick replacement, so bear with me. I have a 10" tapped in and was driving to Chicago, so I just tooktwo 4 ohm 6.5" speakers and used clear silicone adhesive to mount them in. They sound decent....better than they did, mine were busted too. It was an easy, quick fix. I just used the cheap wal-mart replacements cause I couldn'tfind anything else that wasn't 2 or 3 way.

Keep in mind I was looking for the cheapest with the most decent sound. You could get better sound from a good quality speaker.

Good Luck

Old 04-24-2007, 08:15 AM
Overlanding

ok cool. so is that exactly what i need, 6.5" 4 ohm?

Old 04-24-2007, 11:50 AM
Overlanding

what about the jl audio 6w0 speakers, they look nice andhave 2 models withdifferent impediance... anyone put these in and if so which imp?

Old 04-24-2007, 12:38 PM
Camel Trophy

I just looked at my old ones, there should be a sticker on the back that tells, mine says 4 ohm. They had clips built into the speaker, and somesort of resin holding them in. Thats why I just used the silicone. You will have to glue the amp to the back of the speakers, and check the clearance before you glue it for good. They might hit the door.

Old 04-24-2007, 12:57 PM
Overlanding

only thing is i have a disco 2 and there is no amp in the back, wire from rear door clips right into speaker wires.... i dont know if the disco 1 and 2are exactly the same, i think it is minus the amp which i think is under the front seat and also powers the subs. i will check if the sticker on the HK speakers gives any info when i go home from college on fri

Old 04-24-2007, 01:30 PM
Camel Trophy

D1 and D2 are different. Sorry, thought you had a D1.

Old 04-25-2007, 10:55 AM
Overlanding

no one can help!! discomike?
anyone know the impediance of the stock subs (99 disco II w/ hk)?
i thought i read someone put jl audio 6w0 speakers in the stock brakcet but i cant find the info, but they make 2 different imepdiances, dont know which to use or if either will work.

Old 04-25-2007, 02:58 PM
Camel Trophy

I don't think anyone knows. I have 2 options for you.

1. http://www.roverlandparts.com/index....amp;ProdID=362. Get a used unit, or call them to find the specs.

2. Pull out your unit. Measure the speaker dimensions and search Crutchfield or something similar to find the same dimensions. Then go to wal-mart and get a cheap meter and find the resistance. Just unhook the wires and ohm it out. I will bet it is 4 ohm.

3. You could always got to the dealer and get a new unit. They won't sell just the speakers, so be ready for a big price tag.

Old 04-25-2007, 03:32 PM
Overlanding

thanks man. def am not buying from dealer. i know they are 6.5in round, im gonna measure the resistance, hopefully itll be 4 or 6 and i can get the jl audip 6wo's in there. last resort ill order from roverland.

Quick Reply: blown factory subs...help