Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Body control module trouble

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 06:48 PM
nik
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Body control module trouble

Hello, I will start by saying that I am new to this Rover thing. I can say that for the short time that I actually got to drive the truck,I really liked it. Sort of a mix of a early 90s Land Cruiser and late 70s Scout 2, seemed like fun. I had gotten all of the basic new (to me) car bits and pieces, plugs, wires, oil change, air filter,battery, and had started putting together stuff to do the maintenance from the major service thread. I changed the battery, with no issue, fortunately missing the potential problems which I read about after the fact, involving the alarm and other electronics. It was all going so well.

Then the fun stopped, I noticed that the drivers door would not respond to either the center lock button or the key fob. All other doors were working fine. After getting back home, I tried to lock the door with the key. And yes it worked, but it also turned on the alarm. The horribly invasive, deeply rooted alarm, that will not turn off, or let the engine crank.

After a bit of homework, and some help from Atlantic British, I changed out the driver's door lock actuator, disconnecting the battery about 2 minutes into the project. The rest of the swap went smoothly, in a far more peaceful state of mind. I did notice that the new part had 7 pins in the elec. connector while the old one had 8. but all of the part numbers matched, so I went ahead.

No, it can't be that easy, the alarm still won't die, so a bit more homework, and a few things that seemed closer to witchcraft than auto mechanics (universal eka codes, disconnect and reconnect battery with key in position 2...) Still no luck.

I was about to leave town for a week over Christmas, so I admitted defeat and had it towed to the dealer, thinking it would be expensive, but it would be done by the time I returned. After many diagnostic hours they tell me that the bcu is bad and they need to order it. At the Cleveland airport, on the way home, I get a phone call saying that the part is back ordered, with no estimated delivery date.

Now, almost a month later, I am still waiting for a part with no estimated delivery date. So the question is this; Can a used bcu be reprogrammed to work with another ecu, or am I just stuck at the mercy of Rover and their shipping department?

Any help/moral support/verbal abuse would be great.

99 disco 2, v8, coil sprung, stock aside from an aftermarket radio, 150,000 miles

Old 01-21-2012, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

I believe that a used one will work. I think the system may recognize it and adapt without dealer intervention. Of course, you may want to consider purchase of a Hawkeye, which will communicate with it, for a price. Or get it going and have dealer program it. Like for no immobilization....

From RAVE workshop manual:

The IDM communicates with the BCU and the instrument pack via a serial interface. If the BCU or the IDM is replaced,
the communications link between the two units has to be re-established. This can be done either by switching on the
ignition and leaving it on for five minutes, or by using TestBook. The vehicle immobilisation will remain active until the

communications link between the BCU and IDM has been re-established.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 01-21-2012 at 08:02 PM.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:01 PM
nik
Overlanding

Thanks Buzz, quite helpful.
In buying a used bcu, are there any compatibility issues between years or options.

Old 01-21-2012, 09:08 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by nik
Hello, I will start by saying that I am new to this Rover thing. I can say that for the short time that I actually got to drive the truck,I really liked it. Sort of a mix of a early 90s Land Cruiser and late 70s Scout 2, seemed like fun. I had gotten all of the basic new (to me) car bits and pieces, plugs, wires, oil change, air filter,battery, and had started putting together stuff to do the maintenance from the major service thread. I changed the battery, with no issue, fortunately missing the potential problems which I read about after the fact, involving the alarm and other electronics. It was all going so well.

Then the fun stopped, I noticed that the drivers door would not respond to either the center lock button or the key fob. All other doors were working fine. After getting back home, I tried to lock the door with the key. And yes it worked, but it also turned on the alarm. The horribly invasive, deeply rooted alarm, that will not turn off, or let the engine crank.

After a bit of homework, and some help from Atlantic British, I changed out the driver's door lock actuator, disconnecting the battery about 2 minutes into the project. The rest of the swap went smoothly, in a far more peaceful state of mind. I did notice that the new part had 7 pins in the elec. connector while the old one had 8. but all of the part numbers matched, so I went ahead.

No, it can't be that easy, the alarm still won't die, so a bit more homework, and a few things that seemed closer to witchcraft than auto mechanics (universal eka codes, disconnect and reconnect battery with key in position 2...) Still no luck.

I was about to leave town for a week over Christmas, so I admitted defeat and had it towed to the dealer, thinking it would be expensive, but it would be done by the time I returned. After many diagnostic hours they tell me that the bcu is bad and they need to order it. At the Cleveland airport, on the way home, I get a phone call saying that the part is back ordered, with no estimated delivery date.

Now, almost a month later, I am still waiting for a part with no estimated delivery date. So the question is this; Can a used bcu be reprogrammed to work with another ecu, or am I just stuck at the mercy of Rover and their shipping department?

Any help/moral support/verbal abuse would be great.

99 disco 2, v8, coil sprung, stock aside from an aftermarket radio, 150,000 miles
If you send me your number and I'll walk you thru fixing this. Also You can buy a used guaranteed BCU, if it needed and have it shipped Monday.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:14 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A used BCU will work with absolutely no issues. Security learn must be initiated on the Motronic to learn the code from the new BCU and your key bar codes must be entered into the replacement and you're good to go.

All years are cross-compatible and in addition to the above the "new" bcu will have to be programmed to your vehicle specific options.

Last edited by tee51397; 01-22-2012 at 07:23 AM.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:02 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

you could just take out the bad motor from the old one and install it in the new one.

of course you can turn the key in the door to get it to lock and unlock if you need to.

Old 01-23-2012, 06:03 AM
nik
Overlanding

Thanks to everyone for the input, now it is just a matter of weather the dealer will work with used parts.

As an aside, what options can be disabled on the alarm? If possible i would like to completely eliminate it , but I understand that is unrealistic due to the complexity of the system.

Thanks again: N

Old 01-23-2012, 06:48 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

The options to disable the alarm, superlocking, immobilization, etc. are all program options for the BCU. Tell the dealer you will sign for no warranty on customer provided parts. See attached program options.

I'd get rid of them all, considering the misery they can inflict. I have insurance to cover loss, and I'm pretty sure there are a number of owners who would like someone to steal their Disco. Of course, I don't live on Ave Y in Brooklyn, where you have to take your engine block inside each night....

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
output.pdf059.pdf (1.34 MB, 458 views)
Old 01-23-2012, 07:32 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
The options to disable the alarm, superlocking, immobilization, etc. are all program options for the BCU. Tell the dealer you will sign for no warranty on customer provided parts. See attached program options.

I'd get rid of them all, considering the misery they can inflict. I have insurance to cover loss, and I'm pretty sure there are a number of owners who would like someone to steal their Disco. Of course, I don't live on Ave Y in Brooklyn, where you have to take your engine block inside each night....
id be more worried about myrtle than Ave Y...

to the OP why are you having a dealer install a used part? why not do it yourself?

Old 01-23-2012, 07:37 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

I don't think you are going to be able to install a used BCU without a way to resync it with the ECM. A hawkeye will not do this. There are some aftermarket tools that will.

Quick Reply: Body control module trouble