Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Lamp/light Bulb will not work---'03 Disco

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 08:13 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Lamp/light Bulb will not work---'03 Disco

Guy at a stop light was nice enough to tell me my left rear brake lamp was out. The tail light works fine, but when I press on the brake there is no light from the bulb. I went to the dealer and got two replacement bulbs (dual filament). Replaced it: SAME THING. Again, tail light filament works fine, but brake light has NOTHING. Fog lamps affect it in no way.
Help-------thanks as always.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Switch operated by brake pedal - and you can buy bulbs at auto parts store , no magic about them

Old 08-27-2011, 08:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Switch operated by brake pedal - and you can buy bulbs at auto parts store , no magic about them
I think he's saying that one is working, one is not. May want to double check the connections on the plug itself on that side. Sometimes they get corroded or burnt. Try cleaning it up and putting the bulb back in, don't re-install the lenz on the truck. Make sure it works first. If not, have someone else hold the brake on and see if wiggling it makes any difference.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

I need new glasses - sorry - there have indeed been posts about fried electrical socket that the bulb plugs in to. Can be removed and cleaned up, or replaced.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
I need new glasses - sorry - there have indeed been posts about fried electrical socket that the bulb plugs in to. Can be removed and cleaned up, or replaced.
No big deal man! Yeah, mine were pretty burnt when I replaced my bulbs. I cleaned them up and put a little dielectric grease on them and so far have had no more trouble with them.

Old 08-28-2011, 04:22 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks all

Old 08-28-2011, 08:24 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Did you get it working? If so, what worked? It's important to post your final repair if possible, so when someone else has this same problem they have your thread as a reference.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:41 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by disc oh no
Did you get it working? If so, what worked? It's important to post your final repair if possible, so when someone else has this same problem they have your thread as a reference.
Well said.

This needs to be added to the forum rules...something like: If help is requested for troubleshooting, the poster is required to post what they finally did to resolve the problem, before they are allowed to make or read any other threads.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:03 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by lordmorpheus
Well said.

This needs to be added to the forum rules...something like: If help is requested for troubleshooting, the poster is required to post what they finally did to resolve the problem, before they are allowed to make or read any other threads.
Well..... maybe not THAT strict!!! There are WAY too many open-ended threads on here and other similar forums though. I think this just really makes it harder to get a decent answer when doing a search. You get about 1,000 results all with words that match your search criteria but... no end results. What worked??? We may never know!!! Then we end up with MORE of the same threads and so on and so on!

Old 08-29-2011, 04:50 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by disc oh no
Well..... maybe not THAT strict!!! There are WAY too many open-ended threads on here and other similar forums though. I think this just really makes it harder to get a decent answer when doing a search. You get about 1,000 results all with words that match your search criteria but... no end results. What worked??? We may never know!!! Then we end up with MORE of the same threads and so on and so on!
Lol, yeah, I was joking about the punishment for the lack of "what fixed it" replies. It would be VERY nice if everyone reported what did not work, and what finally did work. I would be happy with a one sentence reply 50% of the time.

Quick Reply: Brake Lamp/light Bulb will not work---'03 Disco