Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 11:24 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake pads

Can someone recomend a good brand of brake pads for my disco II its a 2004. I put some pads and rotors on ~10K mi ago and I just picked them up at the local Foriegn Car Parts store in town and had the mechanic down the street install them, I have no idea what brand they were. They are squeaking at low speed braking and have been for the last ~5K mi. I can not take it any longer.

What brand of pads do I need to ensure no squeaking ever. Also, do I need to replace the rotors again? And the finally do you think that I could get the sqeaking to go away if I apply some anti-noise spray to the pads.

Motorcars LTD is local here and recomends akebono ceramic pads and new rotors.

I was going to do the job myslef unless there is some freaky tool I need. I am an amature wrench and race bmw's as a hobby I have experience swapping motors and pretty much tearing down and building back up bmws. Is there anything i need to know special about the LR front brakes or is it same as most disc setups.

TIA.

Old 10-29-2007, 11:34 PM
Rock Crawling
Default RE: Brake pads

ive had good luck with ebc green stuff pads on the 94 disco and akebono ceremic pads on the 99 range rover. all you need to do to change the pads is remove a couple of 12 point bolts.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:51 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

I've had great results with Akebono ceramic pads on other cars ('99 Rodeo and '05 Mini Cooper). They wear really well, produce almost no dust, and stop better than OEM pads in my experience.

Dave

Old 10-30-2007, 06:25 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mcoupe, if you've been doing that work I can assure you that you will have no issues with the brakes on your truck. Search on here for RAVE CD, and you will find the workshop manual for your truck. I installed the Advance autosilver brand, dry with no grease or anything, and my left one gives me the occasional squeek. I'd recommend go expensive on the front rotors, because they take the brunt of the stopping power, and the rotor is very thin and if it is low quality will not last as long as a good brand.

Whatmodel M3sdo you work on? I have an e36 318i I've been working on. I changed the clutch out on it not too long ago, factory clutch too, lasted 210,000 miles. I've got to gid rid of her though because I'm being shipped to Korea. I plan on buying an M3 when I get back, and I was thinking a '95. Any recommendations? It's going to be daily driver at first, then when I get bored I'm going to put l/w flywheels, racing tranny, all of that good stuff.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:27 AM
7th Gear

thanks for the replys, so I guess I'll go with akebono ceramic on the front if i buy new pads.

Do you think that it is worth trying to use noise preventative spray at all at this point or is it too late, I have never used it? I have never had squeaky brakes b/f.

If I am spending ~ $90 on front pads should I do a pad slap or go ahead and get the rotors too. Man they are like $75 a piece. I would much rather just slap on some pads.

jwfuller - I have a 2000 M coupe, it's really low production car ~2200 over 4 years. It is the M roadster, which is based on the z3 but it is not a convertible so it is 2.6x stiffer than the vert. It is like driving a street legal go cart. My other one is a '86 E30. If I were going to get an M3 I would buy a 88-90, but they are so rare now you can get the E36 for less than the E30. But for DD the E36 '95 is the best year b/c the S50 motor has a little higher flow on the intake (it's the euro version) than S52 manifold made from 96-00. But any M3 is going to be pure joy to drive, esp. coming from an 1.8 4cyl. My buddy has a E46 M3 and it's not that much faster than an E36. As they get newer and newer they just get heavier and more detached from the road. The most pure driving experience would be the E30 then, E36, the E46 is more of a luxury car than a drivers car. Good Luck