Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broke in less than 2 months.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 04:14 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broke in less than 2 months.

I purchased my DII less than two months ago. Got it for a steal because it needed a tranny and new front drive shaft. Got the tranny and drive shaft installed and thought my disco would be good to go. Now there's a vibration due to a bent output shaft on the t/case.

I spoke with Discomike and we thought a new flange on the t/case would do the trick but the transmission mech. that just installed the new tranny told me that the output shaft on the t/case is bent and that I need a new t/case or have the current one rebuilt. That's not going to work for my checkbook. I did not budget for an additional $1,000 plus in repairs.

I guess the driveshaft failure really messed up more than I thought. Spun around and took out the tranny and the t/case output shaft all in one fatal swoop.

I'm thinking of selling to at least recover what I have in it.

Advice is always appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

Old 10-20-2009, 05:56 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

http://www.autosportsunlimited.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi
$200 plus shipping will get you a t-case.
Bet you can do the whole kit and kabootle for $500.
I know thats still not in the budget, but it's better than $1000.
And remember, you can sell your old t-case to the scrap yard for 2 bills or so.

Also check www.car-part.com, they may have one closer that you can go and pick up.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

How mechanically inclined are you? Transfer cases are pretty easy to rebuild if you are good with wrenches. I've done several. You could just replace the shaft. Doesn't sound like this is what you are thinking, but something to consider. Probably buy a used one for the price of the shaft though....

Old 10-20-2009, 11:17 PM
Rock Crawling

Yeah, I've priced a few but I really don't want to stick this rig back in the shop. My skill level is still at beginner so I don't think I'll attempt to rebuild the t/case just yet.

I see two options at this point in time.

1. Go out to the curb and visit my disco from time to time.

2. Sell

This sucks!!

Old 10-21-2009, 08:33 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I'm sure you searched before buying, but you must have overlooked the well know fact that A ''new'' used Discovery calls for a few grands set aside for fixes in the first few months and up to a year.

Most owners sell because they have a ''to do '' list that is too long and they are sick of maintaining and putting money in their truck.

So even if you fix the output shaft, you most likely have a list of things coming.Other than the preventative maintenance which is not cheap if done right, It can be SLS failing, door lock actuators going, 3 amigos,sunroof leaks,oil leaks...and the list goes on. Unless you arte lucky and these are things that the previous owner took care of and the tranny thing was the drop that did it for him.

What ever you decide to do, good luck.

For the record, I also got my Disco for a steal from the original owner, low miles and all service records. And since I'm very **** about leaks and I addressed all that is listed above and more, I have some $8Gs in fixes and all but the head gaskets were done by me. So it could have been much more. All in all, It adds up to the price I should have paid for the truck in the first place. But All is perfect now and I should be fine for years to come.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:42 AM
Rock Crawling

You're right, I do have a list and it's a list that I can chip away at over time. The problem for me is the big chunk of change that I need to spend at this very moment to get this rig on the road in 4WD.

I bought this disco to work on and learn from. I'm just concerned with the cost of this particular fix.

Last edited by ChanchoVerde; 10-21-2009 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-21-2009, 07:30 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, unless the rest of the t-case is wrong, I'd probably give a shot at a new output shaft.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:15 PM
Rock Crawling

I didn't expect to find a used t/case for $200 so I think I will save up and keep my rig. I have the front drive shaft off and two wheel drive engaged so I can sputter around town on the weekends. lol

Thanks for responding.