Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken/Cracked EXTERIOR WINDSCREEN TRIM PANEL?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 11:14 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Luckyjayb
i figured they worked ok since the side molding is attached that way but I was worried about the pressure washing and wind

3M is one of those few companies I feel confident in buying anything they make. Their stuff is almost -too- good most of the time.

Just to be certain however, I myself have been testing the A-Pillars by putting the pressure washer nozzle right up against it every time I wash the Disco, and the adhesive doesn't seem to care. They're not going anywhere.

Originally Posted by matt3502
I had my windshield replaced at a well know company. They broke the cowling and got me a replacement. I think it was the fiberglass one. Did not last 2 months.
So, what I hear is someone else ordered a part for you, put it on, and it broke, and you have actually no idea who manufacturer that part or what it was built out of.

Not to mention it's about the easiest thing in the world to tell the difference between plastic and fiberglass when they're broken.

Old 01-26-2017, 07:59 AM
Winching
Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts

I would not have made the comment if I did not know the replacement was fiberglass.
I am not in the habit of posting here to waste peoples time.
You owe me an apology Street Wolf, your smart *** is not appreciated or welcome

Old 02-16-2017, 04:32 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Would it be safe to say trying to remove one off of one Disco to transfer to another would be pointless...the clips would break? I lost my passenger side on the interstate. Windy day at HWY speed just ripped it right off the Disco and it disintegrated on impact with the HWY.

Old 02-17-2017, 07:13 AM
Winching
Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts

A 15 year old piece of plastic is not going to have much mojo left in it. Those plastic tabs are pretty lame to begin with, made weaker by whole piece being exposed to to the weather. IMO

Old 02-17-2017, 10:38 AM
Mudding

Pretty much figured. Guess I'll be looking for some new replacement parts as well.

Old 02-18-2017, 07:34 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Since we are on the similar topic, I have this chirping noise that starts on the passenger side when I am doing 50MPH or higher. It gets super annoying. It feels like something on the dash loose and rubbing, but when I try to move around the dash, I cannot replicate the noise.

A friend told me which I hardly ever have riding on Disco, told me it sound like it is coming from the passenger side dash vent and there about.

I did notice my A pillar trim being loose compare to the driver side. I ordered it.

I am wondering could loose/broken A pillar trim cause chirping noise at speed?

I ruled out driveshaft.

Old 02-18-2017, 08:06 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by DailyDrivenTJ
Doubt it but all is possible. All the plastic tabs on mine are broken and only wind noise sound is what I'd expect.

Old 02-18-2017, 08:32 PM
Mudding

Could be possible. Wind rushing under plastic could make that sound...whistling or chirping. I'd look into that if you ruled out the dash rubbing.

Old 02-18-2017, 09:42 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rossagge
Could be possible. Wind rushing under plastic could make that sound...whistling or chirping. I'd look into that if you ruled out the dash rubbing.
Where else would I look for that? I have been spraying silicone spray at every mating surfaces with no luck. My dash is very sturdy as far as I can tell, I have been pushing, banging.... nothing is really loose.

What gets me is that, if something is loose, when I hit a pot hole regardless of speed, I should hear chirp but I don't. Not even a hint. Only thing I can tell you is that it only happens at speed and comes from the passenger side vent area near the window per the passenger that was in my truck.

Old 02-18-2017, 09:54 PM
Mudding

Where else would I look for that? I have been spraying silicone spray at every mating surfaces with no luck. My dash is very sturdy as far as I can tell, I have been pushing, banging.... nothing is really loose.

What gets me is that, if something is loose, when I hit a pot hole regardless of speed, I should hear chirp but I don't. Not even a hint. Only thing I can tell you is that it only happens at speed and comes from the passenger side vent area near the window per the passenger that was in my truck.
Tape down the A pillar trim and hit the HWY to see if that's your problem area.

Quick Reply: Broken/Cracked EXTERIOR WINDSCREEN TRIM PANEL?