Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken Rear Sunroof: cable frame and/or motor spindle?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2022, 02:18 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,503 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Here are the pics. The track frame is held to the upper half of the sunroof frame with screws. Once you have the lower pan out you can lift the entire assembly out from the top then work on it one the bench.

This is the slot in the glass carrier that the cable pin runs in, this is what tilts the glass up.

The arrow points to the square track bushing, the pin on the cable boss runs in one and the pin in the glass carrier runs in the other (not shown). 90% of the time the pin on the cable boss breaks off.

The cable end on the right drives the cable boss.

Old 07-12-2022, 08:01 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Great pics, thanks Extinct.

Removed "wheel" from my D2 sunroof lexicon, from now on it is a "peg",

I am going to stick my head up in there and see if the peg(s) has sheared or if it otherwise got out of the track. Now that I see the whole mechanism, I am going with a sheared peg.

Can the peg be repaired/replaced in-place, or is my best bet if the peg is sheared to just get a "new" frame/cable assembly from a donor?

I am pretty much resigned now to pulling the headliner (this will actually be the third time I've done it: first time to renew a sagging headliner, second time to replace the fat roof rails that came with the '04 with skinny rails with the full roof extension) as it will give me the opportunity to also replace the sunroof ECU to see if that fixes the ghost roof opening issue (which I am think probably put the pegs thru too many cycles, causing it to break).

Nashvegas, can you say more about this sealant you used for the top frame assembly. I am worried that any 3M product is "permanent", and that once sealed, I won't be able to get that top frame off again in case I need to in the future.

Old 07-12-2022, 08:02 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,503 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Use normal window silicone for the sealant. You probably should probably plan on sunroof rail replacement.