Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

broken rocker arm?

Old 01-05-2011, 11:46 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default broken rocker arm?

04 Disco- 92,000 (head gasket changed by LR at 60,000)

here's the chain of events-

- ses light comes on
- since i dont have a code reader and busy with work i waited a week to get to mechanic
- after a week of solid ses light, i start the engine, light starts to flash & misfire. i drive directly to LR dealership
- LR diagnosis: 1 bad coil pack "suggest" i replace both while they are in there. LR labor is outrageous (but you already knew that)
- Drive disco to independant import place. they tell me that i need both coil packs (fine, their parts and labor were 70% less than LR)
- After replacing coil packs, truck still misfired and back fired they said.
- spent a day checking valves and etc.
-Problem found... BROKEN ROCKER ARM

My question, seeing that the truck has had regular LR service from the PO
and even though i waited a week to get the ses checked out, how the heck did it go from 1 coil pack failure to broken rocker arm?

not to say that LR wouldn't have had the same results but i'm wondering if i should have just let LR replace the coil pack for the $$$$ and i could have saved at least $

Unfortunately, my tools consist of those used for building sets and houses. Maybe i outta invest in more wrenches

Old 01-05-2011, 07:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

I don't think I would let Land Rover do anything to my truck. I'm not even so sure they know what the heck they're doing, as sad as that sounds. Always best to find an indy shop with people who really love and care about what they do. What did changing the coil packs do? Any change at all? I suppose with a misfire code and nothing strange going on with the plug in that cylinder that would be at least a logical place to look after checking the resistance in the plug wires, the coil's the next step down the line. I don't think the outcome would have been any different if Land Rover had the same suggested diagnosis to begin with unless they tested the coil packs and determined that they were good. They probably would have ended up finding it, maybe sooner, maybe later but their labor AND parts costs are absolutely over-the-friggin-moon outrageous and ridiculous!!! I highly doubt they would have saved you anything, money or trouble.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:31 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Rover dealer are the "WORST" possible place to go have an issue delt with.
They called it wrong, it was never a coil pack. Then again you are at fault, why wait a week to get the codes read, any parts store will do it for free.
A rock shaft and arms is an easy fix. If you want some help, send me your number and I can walk you thru it.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Mike is right, I changed my rocker arms and shafts a few weeks ago. Mine were just worn out, not broken but, my engine is a little quieter now. It really isn't hard to do and you can get the parts for just a couple hundred dollars. You can get them from DAP, they have the rocker shafts for I think, $44.50 each and the rocker arms for $7.50 each. and the plenum gasket for $12.66 http://dap-inc.com

You may want to get new plug wires while you're at it if you haven't done them yet as you have to remove the plenum to get to the top two bolts on your valve covers. As I posted before, if you do this be careful of the steel inserts in the v/c gaskets if they have been in there a long time, two of mine fell out of the rubber gasket and right down into the lifter valley. I noticed they were missing and couldn't find all of them. So if they're not still in the gasket, not on top of the head, and not on the floor they may be in your engine. Also, I couldn't physically SEE them in there I just had to fish them out with a magnet. Hope this helps you.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:07 AM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonb
Maybe i outta invest in more wrenches
I agree with this, anyone with a disco and no tools should keep a couple grand available for unexpected repairs.

Old 01-08-2011, 08:51 AM
Overlanding

well... rocker arm was replaced but when i picked it up from the shop, they said there still was a tick and suggested i do the BG service to clean out all the carbon.
(thanks PO for not using premium...)

however after driving the truck about 12 miles, ses and misfire again. also no oil registered on the dip stick.

I had the truck towed back to the shop and they told me the same rocker arm broke again, and that i need a valve job.

Now if LR, who told me they replaced the head gasket at 60,000 just replaced the gasket and moved on, then well, i get it.

I'll give them a call on monday, but im sure they will be just as rude as when i called them the first time to ask about service that they did for the PO. Which apparently was regular since it was a lease

I do keep a little $ aside. Since im more of a jack of all trades, master of none and wood is a little more forgiving then the aluminum that powers my way to work in the morning.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:42 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

You better send me your tele number so we can talk. Don't agree to have any work done till then.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:23 PM
4th Gear
Default Rocker Arm Shaft 1996 Land Rover Discovery

I'm looking to buy an Land Rover Discovery I. i know old, but i'm a full time college student, with a part time job. When i went and looked at the Land Rover when i started it, it sounding a lot like a diesel which got me excided, because i have wanted an diesel Land Rover, but come to find out the Rocker Arm Shafts are out. Would it be safe to drive with them without(Avg. 1-3 hours between 50-60mph), and not screw up my motor, or would it be best to get them put in before even driving it at all. Are they easy to put in? I've loved Land Rovers since i was a kid, and i found this one at a really good deal, but i don't want to be throwing a few grand into it right away, because face it whom has a few grand just laying around ready to burn.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by DylSmi
I'm looking to buy an Land Rover Discovery I. i know old, but i'm a full time college student, with a part time job. When i went and looked at the Land Rover when i started it, it sounding a lot like a diesel which got me excided, because i have wanted an diesel Land Rover, but come to find out the Rocker Arm Shafts are out. Would it be safe to drive with them without(Avg. 1-3 hours between 50-60mph), and not screw up my motor, or would it be best to get them put in before even driving it at all. Are they easy to put in? I've loved Land Rovers since i was a kid, and i found this one at a really good deal, but i don't want to be throwing a few grand into it right away, because face it whom has a few grand just laying around ready to burn.
A. You should have started a new thread for this.
B. A Disco I with issues is not the right choice for you right now, especially with limited resources at your disposal to fix anything that breaks.

Just being honest with you, these trucks require a lot of time and attention when they've been neglected for some time. And $$$, since the guy before you clearly didn't spend any.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:04 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

The shafts being worn may well have lowered oil pressure, so other engine parts are likely worn heavily as well, like main bearings. You are seeing just part of the problem. Thicker oil won't help at this point. You could also have a slipped sleeve thrown into the mix that is also ticking.

These can all be fixed, and there are posts and write ups on this site to guide you. along with the shop manuals. But you need tools, and a place to work, leave engine torn apart, etc. And $1000 is a very common figure to burn thru on a new-to-me Rover with minimal problems.

For a college car, find a cheap common import or a basic Ford or Chevy with the paint peeling off of it, you can get parts cheap at the junkyard. I have a D1 for my kid who is in college, spent a lot of hours and real dollars on getting it roadworthy. Now she puts maybe 40 miles a week on it because of the on-campus bus system.

Anyone can learn to work on a Rover; and you can buy tools, but finding a place to work on it can be a challenge. And the time spent away from your studies is a big negative. I doubt that you are taking only one class per semester.

Attached Thumbnails broken rocker arm?-30023360110_large.jpg   broken rocker arm?-30023360456_large.jpg   broken rocker arm?-30023360469_large.jpg   broken rocker arm?-30023360413_large.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: broken rocker arm?