Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

broken tube/pipe help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 05:24 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default broken tube/pipe help!!!

I have a question a lil black plastic tube/pipe that runs from the driver side of the radiator to the coolant resivor. Is this a hard part to find/get can i get it at a parts store or dealer or do i need to order it. It broke while driving and my truck almost overheated i killed it before it got in the red. Thanks for the help

Old 11-22-2012, 05:49 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Take the shroud off and its easily accessible you could get a rubber hose from auto parts store cut to length for a temporary fix until you can order the plastic style hose. Not a hard part to find. Happy Turkey day! Please get yourself a ultra gauge so you can monitor your temp in more accurate fashion. These trucks and many more continue to get hotter once shut down.

Last edited by lr2001silver; 11-22-2012 at 05:51 PM.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:57 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by lr2001silver
Take the shroud off and its easily accessible you could get a rubber hose from auto parts store cut to length for a temporary fix until you can order the plastic style hose. Not a hard part to find. Happy Turkey day! Please get yourself a ultra gauge so you can monitor your temp in more accurate fashion. These trucks and many more continue to get hotter once shut down.
how hard is it to install an ultra gauge?And thanks for the help

Old 11-22-2012, 06:11 PM
Banned

Very easy plugs in under steering wheel and suction cups to windshield. About $70 i don't work for them and there are other brands. I just like the UG.

Your very welcome.

Edit: the UG plugs in to obd2 port and get accurate readings from the computer.

Last edited by lr2001silver; 11-22-2012 at 09:59 PM.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:41 PM
Mudding

There is a similar rigid plastic line that runs from the throttle body heater back to the reservoir. It broke on mine and I just replaced it with a rubber line. The plastic was very brittle and it was just a matter of time before it broke. I was thinking about getting a replacement but the rubber works just fine, I will be leaving it that way.

Regards,
Mike

Old 11-22-2012, 11:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I went with rubber gas line from the radiator top to the coolant tank as a permanent replacement. It works great.

Old 11-22-2012, 11:14 PM
Three Wheeling

I dont know why i just caught this but how do these trucks get hot after shut down? Just curious?

Old 11-23-2012, 12:43 AM
Banned

Well its aluminum and it gets hotter faster than some other metals and when you turn a hot vehicle off it cuts of the fan. Cutting off the fan will take away the air it takes to cool off so you leave it at its own mercy to heat up a few more degrees before it tops out and then begins to cool back off. And with a heat gauge like the factory one we are dealing with it stays at middle threw a wide range of temps then all of a sudden it jumps to ( OH ****) and its to late, she has officially overheated. Also when turned of you loose the opportunity to see the red light from head gasket hell so if nothing else cutting off the engine and then turning the key back to #2 two position will at least let the electric fan run to help cool.

Old 11-23-2012, 02:53 AM
Three Wheeling

Well its aluminum and it gets hotter faster than some other metals and when you turn a hot vehicle off it cuts of the fan. Cutting off the fan will take away the air it takes to cool off so you leave it at its own mercy to heat up a few more degrees before it tops out and then begins to cool back off. And with a heat gauge like the factory one we are dealing with it stays at middle threw a wide range of temps then all of a sudden it jumps to ( OH ****) and its to late, she has officially overheated. Also when turned of you loose the opportunity to see the red light from head gasket hell so if nothing else cutting off the engine and then turning the key back to #2 two position will at least let the electric fan run to help cool.
Well thanks for the info. I ordered a UG and should be here soon. Once again thanks for the help