Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken wire on oxygen sensor wiring harness side

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2020, 02:25 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken wire on oxygen sensor wiring harness side

So I replaced all my oxygen sensors, last up was the drivers side front sensor. When I got the connector off and was cleaning the connection with contact cleaner I noticed there was some loose electrical tape around one of the wires (not to mention the wires were lacking any other protection). Upon closer inspection it appears there's a break in the wire and the electrical tape was likely the previous owners attempted solution. I can't see a way to easily access this wire to solder and properly repair it. Any suggestions on how to get to this to repair it properly?

Old 08-17-2020, 07:43 AM
Received 393 Likes on 306 Posts

Get the connector for the o2 sensor after the cat and splice and match wires it plugs right into connector for front o2 sensors

Old 08-17-2020, 10:46 AM
Winching
Received 138 Likes on 100 Posts

I had a similar issue last year.

Unfortunately the access to the O2 sensor wire is limited.

You may have to do this.

Remove upper intake manifold similar to when replacing the coils and spark plug wires.

Remove the valve cover drivers side

There is a 13mm bolt on the back of the cylinder head that secures the wiring harness.

After all this you will have good access to the wiring from the O2 sensor connector back to the engine wiring harness to make repairs.

If you feel that the wiring to the O2 sensor is now short you can buy inexpensive O2 sensor wire extender. One end connects onto wiring harness connector and the other end connects onto the O2 sensor. Same as Honda.

See link

Amazon Amazon

It's a lot of work for a simple repair but the access to the wires at the rear of the engine bay is limited without removing all those components from the engine.

Old 08-17-2020, 01:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts

You can also tie into the wire loom running over the rear of the engine. 3 of the 4 wires are unique check wiring guide. Several of the hot wires are available and any of them work. I think they were pink with a brown stripe.

Old 08-18-2020, 07:59 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by keninnc
I had a similar issue last year.

Unfortunately the access to the O2 sensor wire is limited.

You may have to do this.

Remove upper intake manifold similar to when replacing the coils and spark plug wires.

Remove the valve cover drivers side

There is a 13mm bolt on the back of the cylinder head that secures the wiring harness.

After all this you will have good access to the wiring from the O2 sensor connector back to the engine wiring harness to make repairs.

If you feel that the wiring to the O2 sensor is now short you can buy inexpensive O2 sensor wire extender. One end connects onto wiring harness connector and the other end connects onto the O2 sensor. Same as Honda.

See link

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's a lot of work for a simple repair but the access to the wires at the rear of the engine bay is limited without removing all those components from the engine.
Thank you! I think this is the perfect solution. Especially since the valve cover gaskets are in my to do list. Might as well replace the coilpacks/plugs/wires while I'm in there as well.

Old 08-18-2020, 08:01 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by zuke
You can also tie into the wire loom running over the rear of the engine. 3 of the 4 wires are unique check wiring guide. Several of the hot wires are available and any of them work. I think they were pink with a brown stripe.
Oh this is interesting. This might be a decent interim solution while I wait to pull the intake/valve covers off. Thank you, I hadn't even thought of this.

Old 08-30-2020, 02:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bank 1 Sensor 1 connector problem (heavy sigh)

I'm now in a pickle with a wiring harness connector for Bank 1 Sensor 1. I replaced the 02 sensor and now it's worse. Can I use the same Amazon link for replacement? I think I may have shorted the connector when I inserted a screw driver to press the tab in. Took me quite a while to disconnect the thing. But I found this image disheartening. Now have multiple codes prior to install. Thanks for any assistance.