Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bunch of questions on my acquired 96 Disco

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 10:12 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bunch of questions on my acquired 96 Disco

My mother had a 96 Disco I helped her pick out at the dealer actually and its been in the family ever since. Ive driven it many times and its been kind of a pseudo car Ive overlooked, but it was not mine. My mother passed away a few months ago and now its mine to drive, overlook, and maintain. Ive got a G35X going back off lease and Im going to sell my 91' 325IX (i like awd/4wd) so I can drive the Disco exclusively since its paid for. I have a bunch of nagging questions Ive had about this vehicle and Im just going to rifle them off on no order.

First the car details. Its a '96 Disco I SE7 with 29K miles and was the rover manager's car when mom bought it (Williams Land Rover/Rolls Royce in Cincy). It had pretty much every option at the time: rear a/c, jump seats, rover running boards, rover brush bar, rear step, cd changer, rover rubber mats. Even has the dealer applied "1995 Four Wheeler of the Year" sticker still in the back window.

My questions:

1. Brush bar is rusting and the paint is almost peeling off like thick cardboard paper. Anyone have any luck getting a local powdercoater to media blast one of these things and p-coat it? I figure for $150 I could salvage it. The flat horizontal "plate" of it in front of the bumper is darn near all rust. Id rather not buy a new one.

2. Why is the audio system in this vehicle so TINNY sounding. No matter how you calibrate it, its sounded like theres zero bass from day one. Isnt it a Pioneer (or panny?) underpinned sound system? The audio is loud and clear, but its the most base-less audio system Ive ever heard and Im not a pimpmeister who needs a pair of 14 inch subs in the back to feel like Im getting my fill of bass. Whats the weak link in this thats causing the lack of factory bass? the head unit? Speakers? Whatever it is, Id like to tackle it inexpensively. No desire to Snoop Dog the audio with a $3,500 system.

3. Anyone install an aftermarket DVD/Nav in the single DIN? Any recommendations? Im contemplating a flip out monitor one but Im real hesitant that the typical bouncy pitch/roll of the Disco in driving will not bode well for any flip out unit. What about a unit with the screen (like 3.5 inch) embedded? Like the one JVC unit. I really want built in Nav and DVD for this car. I dont want to hook my Garmin up in it. Please advise on what you have done.

4. Im considering tinting the windows. I also want to tint the sunroofs because the tension screens are worthless at times. What about the LEFT REAR skylight window. How on earth do you tackle tinting that since its like a plastic window in front of the real window?? The right one is just glass, but the left one is like an aquarium. If tint goes on the inside, hows that going to work.

5. How difficult is it to swap the headlights with H4s? Ive seen kits on Rovers North for $135 or so.

6. Original tires are still on the car. Still have great tread but I think the compound is losing bite. Any you recommend as replacements? Id like something that rides a bit quieter than the ones from the factory but still has good wet/snow performance.

7. Getting a little rust on the left rear door jam bend (you know the area of panel gap where you can slide an encyclepedia between. Whats the best way to tackle this. On Wheeler Dealers (the show), they wire brush the rust off or whatever then apply some sort of liquid that turns the metal area rust resistant. Then they primer and paint. We're only talking an area the size of a matchbox, but Id rather not put it off.

8. Whats best way to replace/repair the keyless entry fobs. They worked fine until the two rubber buttons got warped and no longer depressed and retracted properly. The FCC info is on each fob.

9. Whats best place to get parts/accessories online for Discos. Doing google, I found Rovers North. Any better ones out there? Same with toucj up paint. Should I just get it from paintscratch.com like I do for other cars?

10. Front of the dash near the window is warped up. Why I have no idea since the car has 29,000 miles and has been garaged all its life, but its either shrunk or lost its moorings. Shoot, Im afraid that trying to tack it down again might actually crack it. Any avenue to address this, or is it better left alone? Its not a big issue right now, but it does speak to the shaky fit and finish.

Im sure Ill have more questions. This is a great start though. Thanks in advance for the help.

Old 05-03-2009, 11:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to hear about your mom. My mom died in 1997.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:48 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Well the brush bar can be wire brushed and then you can rattle can it, i do this to mine every year.
As for the dash, www.atlanticbritish.com has a reapir kit for that, it is a common thing, just age.
The rust in the door jams, sand and paint, buy a can of undercoating or spray on bed liner and then coat the under side of the wheel wells.
As the the stereo, you factory amp is prob dead, thats what happened to mine, I jsut went to Best Buy and had them put in a CD head unit.
There is a sub in the cargo door, it may just be dead too.
You can buy repair kit for your keyless entry or you can buy a new remote.
As for tires that depends on your budget and what you plan on doing with the truck.
As for touch up paint I just buy it at the store, white is white. (my trk is white)
www.atlanticbritish.com
www.roverlandparts.com
www.autosportsunlimited.com

Old 05-04-2009, 04:12 PM
6th Gear

heres the brush bar. is this thing salvageable or am I wishing for too much. why it would rust so much being garaged its whole life I have no idea. And with such few miles. Im thinking maybe the local powdercoater can media blast it down to bare metal again then coat it?

its like the bar rusted from the inside out. The paint is thick like cardboard and wants to peel off away from the rust.

Attached Thumbnails Bunch of questions on my acquired 96 Disco-img_1489.jpg   Bunch of questions on my acquired 96 Disco-img_1490.jpg   Bunch of questions on my acquired 96 Disco-img_1491.jpg   Bunch of questions on my acquired 96 Disco-img_1492.jpg  
Old 05-04-2009, 06:20 PM
Team Owner

Thats exactly what it did was rust from the inside out, it is soup can material now.
You still have your headlight covers on, they are not water tight (they srew on), so rain water and condensation sitting inside there just rusted it out.
being garaged has nothing to do with it.
When I bought my LR grill gaurd (used) I removed the headlight grills and plugged the holes and then wire brushed and painted the whole thing while off the truck.
I think sand blasting it it will turn to dust.
Wire brush it and then paint it with Rustoleum and then look for a new one.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:47 PM
6th Gear

i figured it had to be a rust from the inside out job, but couldnt figure out how. i did notice those thumb screw type things on the headlight guards (which had since rusted themselves un-screwable).

Looking at the bottom where the bar is mounted to the car, it appears there are just two long bolts/screws on each side and thats the ONLY attachment point, though it does "appear" like the front of the bar sort of rests on the front edge of the bumper. Whether it rests barely on it or butts up against it, I guess I wont know until I get it off.

I also have some rust on the underside of the rear step. I need to get some bigger heavy duty wire brushes. The only one I have is toothbrush size.

Back to the headlights. If I get the bar off, is the H4 swap just a plug-play deal? Rovers North had a set of lenses for under $150.

Back to audio. Anyone running a DVD/Nav system in their D-I? Id like to know what fits and works well. Im still leary on the flip out screen since these cars pitch and yaw like a pirate ship on whitecaps. Crutchfield showed zero matches for anything with Nav. Im thinking of this one which may be discontinued and is hard drive based:

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...91&dcaid=18006

The flip out route (which may be the worse choice):
http://www.buy.com/prod/Pioneer_AVIC...208033819.html

You guys have been most helpful thus far. I spent most of my days on Rennlist.com for Porsches but am glad I found a place for the Disco. It was my mothers car she bought new and Im really interested in preserving it.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:53 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow 29k.. Guess Im no longer the Late Model/Low Miles guy around here anymore.

Welcome to the Forum, Condolences on your Loss.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:19 PM
Team Owner

Well the good news about those thumb screws is if you take a pair of Channel-Locks to them they will snap right off and then the gaurds will come right off.
I have no idea what the H4 head lights are, as far as I know they already take the H4 bulb. (single bulb w/hi-lo beam)
As for the audio...you pimping out this truck or what?
No way in hell I would spend $700 on car audio just so it could be stolen.
Damn CD's skip when off roading anyway.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:30 PM
6th Gear

this car has never seen 1 second of off roading and never will. snowfall is as tough as it gets. i have enough hobbies as it is, dont need another!

Old 05-04-2009, 10:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

not sure who it was but someone did custom mod the stereo area to fit in a nice double din, had to remove the cup holders and drop the a/c unit I believe but if you search you should find his pics and stuff on here, as for the dash the only suggestion I might make (since I live in the valley of the sun and dashboards literally cook out here) there are quite a few companies that make custom dashmats that will take care of cosmetic concerns.

http://dashmat.com/dashmat/index.html