Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying 1998 Discovery, 10 things I should know??

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 10:12 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Buying 1998 Discovery, 10 things I should know??

Hello all! This is the firstRover I've ever bought ...and my firstpost in this forum. Thank you in advance for any help and support you can offer.

Before I ask questions about the vehicle, allow me to set up our situation: The wife and Iwere looking for a little adventure on our nextvacation.I told her tobuyone-way tickets to San Fran and we'd buy something to drive back ...hit some sights. I found a 1998 Discovery on Craig's list for $3,600 and bought it.Looks like a good enough dealif condition is as per discussed. Miles are 130k. The itinerary is a couple days in SF, make our way past Tahoe to Reno, across Nevada hwy 50 (Lonliest Road) to Salt Lake. After a couple days there, we'll cruise down to Moab, do some 4 wheeling. Then over to Silverton/Ouray, CO for some Alpine off-roading. Then to Black Hills, SD before returning. We plan to sell it when we get home, that is,if we don't fall in love with it.

A few other things: I've beenvisited/off-roaded atall these places before.Also, I am a very good mechanic, high miles and a few mechanical issuesdon't bother me(our Jeep G/C has 195k mi and my Caddilac has226K). I can fix just about anything I need to (hopefully I won't need to), and I'm taking a decent tool kit with me just in case. Still, like anybody, I prefer not to get stranded.

So, this is where I need your help. I've owned Toyota/GM/Ford/Jeep trucks but never owned a Land Rover. What are the main design weaknesses and concerns with this model / year? What things do I need to look over and beware of before I set off from San Fran to help ensure a more trouble-free trip? (besides check/change fluids, check jointsand all that stuff). I'm talking things specific to 1998-ish Land Rovers.

And, FWIW, I went to the Land Rover dealership the other day to pick up a new light and wheel center and looked over an LRB (the bigger one). Man, I was really impressed with how well they are built from the standpoint of ruggedness! I was expecting it to be more like a Toyota Land Cruiser or Trooper (figuring Ford would turn their accountants loose on on the LR), but in my eye, it's got the cruiser beat by a mile in terms of beefiness and suspension ruggedness. I was veryimpressed. But that was a new one, how will the 1998compare to other vehicles in ruggedness?

Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Mark G

Old 09-15-2007, 10:39 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Buying 1998 Discovery, 10 things I should know??

First off, cool trip wish I were going!!, Great idea!
Wow that's a louded question. I am also a new LR owner and have a 96'. It has 149,000 miles and is currently sitting on jack stands in the garage. My cv joints went out. My previous owner did not take very good care of mine, seems to my luck. Good thing I like to turn wrenches. There are a few guys on here with excellent knowledge about these vehicles. They are great to drive but if the owner before you did not take care of it, you will not like it very much. Fo me the hardest thing to learn is that the local Autozone does not stock parts for these! Almost everything has to be ordered online or mail order. With all that being said I LOVE IT! It does great offroad, rides really good on the highway for 4x4. Anyways good luck to you and have fun! I would reccommend the 60k mile service. Disco Mike will chime in and tell you all about it.

Brian

Old 09-16-2007, 01:53 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I envy you being able to take such a trip. I grew in Cortez Colorado and I am dying to head back there for a few hours of running in up in the mountains. I used to go up to some of the old mines above Cortez and the views were amazing. I am hoping to get back down there again...at least you are able to take this trip. I now live in SLC and if I find a interesting trail tomorrow I will be sure to let you know before you come thru this area.

Good luck on your trip...I would offer more advice about maintence but I just bought my first LR as well. If you want to know about some trails I will dig out my old maps of that area and can give you a heads up of the Durango, Cortez area.

Old 09-16-2007, 06:21 AM
Adz
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

1998 was a change over year between the Disco 1 and 2 here in the UK - is that the same for the USA?

FWIW - stick the right tyres for the conditions on a Disco 1 and there's pretty much nowhere it won't go, not had much experience of the Disco 2 and later so I can't comment on how they compare off road.

Have a good trip - sounds like it'll be a blast

Old 09-16-2007, 07:39 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Now that is a great way to take a vacation as well as a good find at a great price.
Change the oil, run a good 10W/40 and either a Mobil 1 or a K&N3001 oil filter, don't use the cheap filter as they tend to drain down overnight and cause a dry start in the mornings. Buy a good bottle of gas additive like SeaFoam or Chevron's Techtron and always run high octane gas.
As for the trip, nothing to worry about other then making sure it is fully serviced and have a great trip, take lots of pictures for us to see.
I'll bet you won't sell it when you get home.

Old 09-16-2007, 10:02 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Thanks for the replies, guys. Can anybody tell me some Land Rover basics? I thought I read somewhere that the Disco I had a 24v charging system? What other things do I need to know as a new LR owner?

Thanks,

Mark G

Old 09-16-2007, 10:44 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Disco's have a 12 volt system not 24.
They are know to go thru one set of head gaskets during their life time. They are also know to have their suspensions, coils, settle after 50,000 miles causing them to drop a good inch or more, that is why so many of us have gone to a 2" lift and bigger tires when planning on doing alot of trails.

Old 09-16-2007, 01:47 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

One thing I would add is how to use the CDL. Are you familiar with the little shifter in front of the gear shift?

Get under you truck and make sure your AC drains are clear. Check that all of your fluids are good and full. I would get someone shot packs from the dealer and lube your swivel joints just to make sure they are done.

Make sure your coolant does not get low. As Mike said, they are prone to blowing head gaskets and if they overheat, you can drop a liner and then the block is toast.

Old 09-16-2007, 01:49 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: Adz

1998 was a change over year between the Disco 1 and 2 here in the UK - is that the same for the USA?

FWIW - stick the right tyres for the conditions on a Disco 1 and there's pretty much nowhere it won't go, not had much experience of the Disco 2 and later so I can't comment on how they compare off road.

Have a good trip - sounds like it'll be a blast
1999 here...Some D1's were sold as 1999's to get rid of the surplus. D2's came mid 99...