Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a '99 Disco and looking for some feedback

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 10:08 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a '99 Disco and looking for some feedback

Next week I'll be buying a '99 Discovery Series II - dark green (not sure of the actual name of the color) with tan leather interior. Pretty well loaded up with dual sunroofs, a Harman Kardon stereo, etc. No 3rd row seats. I owned a '94 Defender for a short time about 9 years ago, and loved it, but haven't had much direct experience with the marque since then. In general, I'm just looking for some feedback to see

The vehicle I'm buying is owned by my boss and her husband, both of whom work for my company. Since her husband has a company car, my boss rarely drives the vehicle, and as of today it only has 68,000 miles on the odometer. It was PA state inspected just this week, and passed with a clean bill of health. I know they haven't cut any corners on maintenance, and the vehicle has never been taken off road or driven hard.

The vehicle runs perfectly, and the only mechanical issues I could find were power seats on both sides that would move up & down, but wouldn't slide forward & backward. I'm hoping it's a matter of just cleaning the contacts/switches (although I'd appreciate any comments from anyone who has experienced a similar problem).

Cosmetically, it's in decent shape. The front passenger door has a ding from a close encounter in a parking lot, and the front drivers side door has some light scratches where their Golden Retriever jumped up to greet my boss when she got home, but the scratches aren't down to the primer, and I'm confident that a professional detailing will have the car looking considerably better than it does now.

They're selling the vehicle to me for $6,000, which I feel is a very fair price for the vehicle, especially considering the mileage.

Given the picture I've painted, does this sound like a fair deal? Anything I should check for/be concerned about with this year & model.

Thanks for any feedback you can provide.

Justin

Old 09-19-2008, 10:33 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: Buying a '99 Disco and looking for some feedback

I would say jump on it. A couple of things that you need to know.
1.You MUST use premium gas.
2.You MUST get the front driveshaft rebuilt with greasable u-joints.
3.Flush the cooling system every 45,000 miles or every 3 yrs, whichever is sooner.
4.Flush the brake fluid every 2 yrs.
www.atlanticbritish.com has tech tips and any accessery and part that you could want for your truck. Bookmark their page.
Welcome to the froum.

Old 09-20-2008, 07:43 AM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Buying a '99 Disco and looking for some feedback

I would soon have some off road rash so a little door ding,,, are you
going to off road?
At 10 years old the brake lines need replacing as well as the air bag sensors
check the manual it will tell you the rest for a Disco II.
Mine at 10 years old it cost me about $2000 not to bad for a update.