Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying 99 Discovery II, But Locked Out!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2020, 06:02 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying 99 Discovery II, But Locked Out!

Hi, everyone. My friend's father passed away, and I have been offered the opportunity to purchase his 1999 Discovery. It is a beautiful vehicle at an attractive price, and I am looking forward to using it. One problem: my friend drove it here (with no trouble), and parked it on the street. When I went to take her for a spin this afternoon, the key fob would not unlock the doors. I inserted the key and it turns in either direction with very little resistance and does not move the lock. I put a new battery in the fob; no joy. The truck does not respond to the lock or unlock buttons on the fob. I can see the red LED for what I assume is the security system blinking.
I've done some searching and have read about the superlock feature and the horror stories there. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to get inside the vehicle without breaking glass? Thanks in advance.

Old 02-10-2020, 07:07 PM
Mudding
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

I can't give an info regarding the key fob. I've never had one for mine, but hopefully that changes soon. If the key just spins in the lock, the pin could be broken that connects the lock to what I think is the actuator. I've had to break a window in similar circumstances, but in my case the actual lock was broken. I broke one of the rear door windows, the one that doesn't roll up and down. It's cheap and easy to replace if needed. I did it myself in an afternoon. After gaining access, pull the horn fuse in the box under the hood on passenger side so the alarm shuts up, pull the door handle off, then manually spin the actuator where the pin goes in. It'll look kinda like a big phillips head. That will disable the alarm. You'll need some Torx bits for the job, can't think of the size off the top of my head. Then the best option would be to buy a replacement door handle with key, and ignition cylinder if you want to use the same key for both. It would be a good idea to replace the plastic pin with a metal one thats available online on a few sites so it won't break in the future.

Hopefully someone can give you some help as far as the key fob goes and it doesn't come to breaking a window. I may have forgotten some details, but I don't like thinking about that day. Haven't been that mad in a long time.

Old 02-10-2020, 07:31 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 11chuck
I can't give an info regarding the key fob. I've never had one for mine, but hopefully that changes soon. If the key just spins in the lock, the pin could be broken that connects the lock to what I think is the actuator. I've had to break a window in similar circumstances, but in my case the actual lock was broken. I broke one of the rear door windows, the one that doesn't roll up and down. It's cheap and easy to replace if needed. I did it myself in an afternoon. After gaining access, pull the horn fuse in the box under the hood on passenger side so the alarm shuts up, pull the door handle off, then manually spin the actuator where the pin goes in. It'll look kinda like a big phillips head. That will disable the alarm. You'll need some Torx bits for the job, can't think of the size off the top of my head. Then the best option would be to buy a replacement door handle with key, and ignition cylinder if you want to use the same key for both. It would be a good idea to replace the plastic pin with a metal one thats available online on a few sites so it won't break in the future.

Hopefully someone can give you some help as far as the key fob goes and it doesn't come to breaking a window. I may have forgotten some details, but I don't like thinking about that day. Haven't been that mad in a long time.
Thanks! Good to hear it's workable once I get in.

Old 02-10-2020, 08:06 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 895 Likes on 646 Posts

If it comes to breaking a window, I have a driver's door window you can have for the cost of shipping.

The following users liked this post:
jastutte (02-11-2020)